After repair of vandalism, TPMS light keeps coming on

I posted last week or so about my 2010 Honda Civic EX coupe having been vandalized--they ripped off the tires and wheels, taking everything down to the rotors.
I finally got it back from the body shop yesterday. But the TPMS light keeps coming on. The body shop mechanic thought he fixed it. But now that I drove the car a few hours, it has come on again.
Any ideas? Could a sensor be faulty?
-- Steven L.
On 8/14/2010 1:17 PM, Steven L. wrote:

Forgive me for questioning what may be obvious
1) did you or the technician calibrate/reset the TPMS system once reinstalled?
2) in MANUALLY checking the tire pressure, is there a marked difference in the pressure compared with when it was reset and now(when the light went on)?
if the answer to #1 is Yes and #2 is no, I think you have your answer. Sensor is likely faulty or improperly installed. What else changed since it was working? Nothing. Tires, wheels and sensor gone. Tire, wheels and defective sensor returned.<g>

To answer your question:
The answer to #1 is Yes.
I don't have an answer for #2 yet.
I'll check and get back to you.
-- Steven L.

You made a mistake in failing to bring the vehicle to a Honda dealership for both body and hardware repairs.
I'm assuming this is the "TPMS" light that's on, and not the "Low Tire-Pressure Warning" light. If so, the new tire-pressure sensors still need to be "learned" and recognized by the car's TPMS computer. This can ONLY be done at the dealer, and only with the TPMS Sensor Tool in conjunction with the usual HDS diag tool.
If the TPMS computer cannot recognize all four of the car's tire-pressure sensors, it will assume there are missing sensors, and will illuminate the TPMS light. The TPMS sensors only activate once the vehicle reaches 25mph, so you won't get a TPMS light until the car has been driven for a bit.
The TPMS "learn" service should be covered under your insurance, just like the body repair.
--
Tegger