Air and Cabin Filter - '05 Accord 4cyl

Are there any opinions which filters are better or which to stay away from? I just want something that works at least as well as OEM, if I can get it cheaper somewhere like a Pep Boys, AutoZone or Salvo Auto. Definately not interested in anything like K&N.

What's the consensus? Thanks in advance,

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

OEM air filter looks better in quality. I would definitely spend extra $10 for that one. For cabin filters, aftermarket are good enough.

Reply to
Bob Jones

concur. stick with oem engine air filter. cabin filters - i don't care.

Reply to
jim beam

If it was a matter of $5 or $10 difference I would be tempted to use OEM, but its not. There are two filters and they are $67 EACH at my local dealer (and that was the best price after calling three dealers!). You might do better on line somewhere.

I think its analogous to AC/furnace filters in your house. Do you use the $1 ones the grocery store sells or the $17 ones from Home Depot? We're talking cabin filters here, something that 10 years ago didn't exist at all & 5 years ago was an option on only the most expensive cars. In fact its still an option on many cars. I see no benefit in paying dealer rip-off prices for this.

My personal research after hearing the dealer prices shows the filters at O'Reilly's are thinner and have obviously less filtering area than OEM. Didn't check Pep Boys because the one here is just trashy.

AutoZone sells Bosch filters for about $26/pair. I cannot tell any qualitative difference between the Bosch filters vs. OEM. The material appears to be the same stuff and they have the same number of pleats. I have been using these in the '06 CRV with no ill effects.

So unless your local dealer is less greedy on the price, go with the Bosch.

Reply to
E Meyer

I'll go with the consensus and stick with the OEM engine filter. Depending on what the difference is for the cabin, I may make it easy and just get everything at one place.

Thanks again Bob and Jim,

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

But $67 EACH at your local dealer???? You mentioned 2 filters - are these for the cabin or was one for the engine????

I just found the engine air filter at Majestic Honda for $17.40 with a list price of $24.86 but couldn't find the cabin filter. I just sent them an email so I'll wait to hear back. If the pair you're talking about is just for the cabin, it's time to check out AutoZone!

Thanks,

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

I did not comment on the engine filter. I agree with others that the OEM engine filters are obviously better. The cabin filter contains two identical filter elements on my car ('06 CRV).

If you look at "heater blower" in the parts breakout for the '05 Accord on the Majestic site you will see the filter element (number 7 in the picture). It appears the 05 Accord only uses a single element and they only charge $15.01 for it. All the more reason to do your homework (as you have been) before throwing money at the local dealer.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I actually see it as number

6 for the filter element, but there are 2 part numbers - 1090204 and 1094658, and one is for $15.01 and the other is for $32.16? I'm assuming it's the cheaper one. I checked it out in my car today and it's easier to change than the engine air filter. I sent them an email to see why they have 2 separate part numbers/cost for the identical illustration#. Maybe I'm missing something....

Thanks again,

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

I just went back and looked again & it looks like a different picture than the one I saw the other day. There are two filter elements depicted in this one. I agree with you that the indexing of part numbers to the figure is messed up. It will be interested to hear what they say. Make sure you get the filter element and not the frame (which does not need to be replaced).

Reply to
E Meyer