Air Bag Deployment 01-CR-V

Did $8k damage on the front end of my CR-V and the air bag didn't deploy.

Where is the sensor that sets it off.

The estimate is not final as of yet, the body shop has to remove all the front end sheet metal so the insurance adjuster can see if there is enough hidden damage to total the car.

I hit a car in an intersection, he's going west I am going north, I make contact with his front fender and the whole side of his car with my front end, then I hit a 5ft high steel fence made out of 1 1/2 in square tubing, I take out a 12ft section, shearing off the post at the cement.

Tow truck driver can't believe the air bag didn't go off, front fender aprons(crumple zone) definitely need to be pulled forward, as the front doors are dragging on the stricker plate of the door jam. the doors have to be gently lifted in order to shut them, didn't crack front windshield.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

The air bags do not deploy if the body is absorbing enough of the impact. All conditions must be right for the bag to deploy. Being as you are posting this yout face must not have hit the steering wheel and you were not seriously hurt, airbag must not have been needed. Your Honda did its job. Scott

Reply to
zonie

"twfsa" wrote in news:2z4We.3225$GK2.2188@lakeread07:

There are several and they are in the bumper. The airbag ECU makes many calculations before it will allow detonation of the airbag's explosives. Mostly it's G-loading (over time) and angle of impact that dictate if the bag explodes or not.

If the car is travelling too slowly, the impact is too soft, or on too much of an angle from the car's longitudinal axis, the bags will not explode.

If the bags had gone off, the car would stand a far greater probability of being declared to be a total loss on account of the exorbitant cost of replacing the bags. In some vehicles, the passenger bag will often smash the windshield as it explodes.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

A friend of mine hit a deer with her CR-V and the air bags deployed and blew out the back window, she claims.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

"twfsa" wrote in news:PToWe.3303$GK2.1018@lakeread07: