Air bag presence verification

While looking at a 95 EX/LX in a dealer's lot, how can one verify that there actually is an air bag behind the cover? IOW, can the cover be easily removed and replaced in the dealer's lot by me? If
so, how? Thanks.
--
bill

You really can't tell if it's behind the cover without getting pretty intrusive, but if the air bag isn't present the SRS light will stay on.
Mike

Not necessarily. If you unplug the airbag ECU, the light will remain off.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

Thanks. Is this plug visible without disassembling something? If so, where is it located?
--
bill

No.
Don't know about your car. Under the dash somewhere. It won't be in a place you can easily reach it. You can tell it because all the connectors are bright yellow.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Good point - although the SRS light won't test when the ignition is turned on that way either, will it?
Mike

Nope. We've got the airbag disconnected in our '99 Tercel. The SRS light never comes on.
Airbag disconnection is legal where I live. Most garages will do it for you for about $40.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
"TeGGeR" wrote:

That is not correct. The SRS indicator is designed to stay on solid if the indicator control circuit is either shorted to ground or open. A short to power on the same circuit WILL result in the SRS indicator never coming on.
That means no bulb check sequence (on for 6 second, then off;if no problem detected) when the IG switch is turned to the Run position.
-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
TomP wrote:

I'm sure the kind of criminals who would sell a car with 'faked' air bags know exactly what kind of resistor / capacitor to insert in the circuit to defeat the fail-safe system :-( (Probably got it off the Internet)
'Curly'
TomP wrote:

I haven't gotten back to the Accord yet, but I looked at a 97 Camry (can I say "Camry" in here?) yesterday, and the light never came on under any condition.
--
bill

Maybe Honda does it differently. I've got a '99 Toyota sitting in my driveway right now with an unplugged airbag. The SRS light never comes on ever. And I even left the seatbelt pretensioners plugged in.

Your sig is non-compliant. Add a space character after the hashes.