Air bubbles in coolant?

I am looking for reasons that could cause repeated airbubbled in coolant system.

I have a honda civic 95 and i keep getting airbubbles in my coolant system.

I have one possible reason in mind: leak in head gasket causing the coolant to get air from the engine.

Any other possible explanations? what about my assumption above and what do i need to do to fix it if the above assumption is correct?

thanks in advance.

Reply to
Latitude Wizard

You re probably on the right track. Blown HG in our '94 civic made the overflow tank look like it was boiling.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

And you are probably getting coolant in the oil which will destroy the engine. Replace the head gasket...

Reply to
Woody

--------------------------

If your rad cap isn't working right, then you'll appear to be getting air bubbles in the reservoir tank because the rad won't pressurize right, and coolant boils too easy if it's not under pressure. Your reservoir should be kept full to the line, with good coolant diluted with DISTILLED water. Tap water is called Hondacide. Fill the system per the manual, then watch the level in the reservior when you check. Be sure if there's any dripping under the drive belt end of the engine. Leaking water pump MUST be replaces a.s.a.p. or timing belt will break.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

"motsco_ _" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

ALWAYS overlooked. Rad caps will get old.

Cheap fix, too. And use an OEM cap, even if you have to get the dealership to order one. Incidentally, Toyota sells the exact same cap for half the price of a Honda one. Ask for an '86 MR2 rad cap.

Listen to this, kids.

The very safest thing is to use is Honda's own premix. Yes, it's expensive, a whole $20 or so, but a lot cheaper than head gasket failure.

Reply to
TeGGer®

Does the coolant have a direct bearing on head gasket survival? I usually think of head gasket failure as starting from the combustion chamber or from head warping.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:g snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

It has to do with failure when the coolant is old. Once it gets old enough, it loses its corrosion protection and the tops of the cylnders rust. The rust provides the hole for leakage.

If you use the wrong type of coolant and leave it in longer than it can protect against corrosion, or if the additive package reacts with the old stuff you had in there and corrosion protection is thereby diminished, then you are at risk.

If you use a long-life coolant and change it every two years, then the chance of corrosion is virtually nil no matter what you use.

Head warpage can cause leakage (which is what happened to me). Overheating can cause the warpage in the first place, but overheating is not necessary for warpage to occur.

Reply to
TeGGer®