Air Filter Self Serviceable?

My son took his 05 Accord EX 6-cyl to the dealer for scheduled service and was told that his "air filter" needed to be changed and the charge would be $100

He didn't have it done...

So my question, I'm unsure whether this is the passenger cabin air filter (if there is one) or if it's the engine air filter, but isn't this something that is user-serviceable? Is there any trick for access to either filter (assuming it has both). Are these "air filters" commonly available at regular auto parts stores, i.e., Autozone or are these a dealer item only?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Bubba

That is one crazy price for the air filter. It is no harder to change than on most modern vehicles. Most good real auto parts stores will have them. Chain stores which mostly do the high volume stuff (Kragen, AutoZone, etc.) might not stock them yet.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I believe that the dealer was referring to air filter. Ask the dealer to be sure. If it's air filter, I had learned that with most cars, it is soemthing you can do.

When I did it on my Nissan 2 years ago, even though I knew that I could change it myself (or ask someone to do it for 10/20 bucks for labor to put the filter), I couldn't buy the air filter (it was hepa) from the auto supply store and that only dealers would sell it. So I did it at the dealer for 80. Recently, I learned that you can just buy ANY filter you desire, cut (and shape it if necessary) and put it yourself. Some suggested to get it from Walmart.

As far as I know, micron filtration and hepa filtration are top of the filtration process. I lerned those when i was purcahsing a canister vacuum cleaner 6 years ago.My kowledge may be out of date.

I will never let the dealer put an air filter for me again.

Reply to
amanda992004

Reply to
Sandlot