Air filters

Page 1 of 2
I never see air filter replacement in the maint. schedule or itemized in the bills of my '94 Accord. What gives? Is the air filter a non-replaceable item?

That would be as close to impossible as it could be. If your air filter hasn't been changed since '94, there would probably be no oxygen to support combustion!

Actually Ford sold Foci with a "lifetime" air filter (not really "lifetime", but it didn't have a routine replacement interval). It is not impossible to do. In fact most people probably change air filter too often. Here is a link to the Visteon website where they discuss their long life filtration system (300,000 miles - i.e., lifetime for most cars):
http://www.visteon.com/company/features/100103.html
Ideally vehicles should have a filter restriction indicator to prevent chaning filters needlessly. My farm tractors all have these indicators, and it is surprising how dirty a filter gets before it triggers the light.
http://news.carjunky.com/car_maintenance/replacing-your-air-filter-too-often-cdh802.shtml http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number 10001 http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id !475
Ed

That's a variation of the old engineering-students' joke: "Four years ago I couldn't even spell injuneer, and now I are one".
--
Tegger

On 2/1/2011 7:25 AM, Tegger wrote:

That reminds me of a Boston joke;
A guy gets in the express line at a Boston supermarket with an overflowing cart. The cashier looks him over and asks him if he is a student to which he answers "Yes". "So tell me", she asks, "are you from Harvard and can't count or are you from MIT and can't read?"
John
--
\||///
------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

Check the Maintenance Schedule again; it's in there!
The interval is probably 30K miles.
--
Tegger

Every 30K miles? No wonder I missed it. It's not a frequent item. But I did find it in the maintenance chart, right on the top, under the column titles. I must have skipped that row, too. By the way, searching for the downloadable service manuals for the '94 Accord, I see such designations on the various web sites as Accord 1994 CD7 CD9 USDM JDM and CE1 CE2. What do they mean by those abbreviations? I found one for just plain 1994 Accord but that turned out to be for the Coupe. How do I find one for the LX model?

The manuals found on the Web tend to be for European models. There are significant differences betwen US models and those meant for other parts of the world, so it's not a good idea to rely on non-US manuals for information. Honda's UK division posted some those manuals for free on their Website for a while, which is why they're everywhere now.
As for the "CD", CE", etc., those are internal Honda designations for the various Accord chassis. They are different from the EX, LX, etc., that you'll find on the trunk lid.
"CA" was the gereration made from 1986 to 1989, "CB" was made from 1990 to 1993, "CD" from 1994 to 1997, etc. The numbers after the letter code refer to the bodystyle (sedan, wagon...) and to the engine that was installed.
"EX", LX", etc., are the trim line designations that Honda used to denote the models' retail price class.
Tegger

Just my experience: I found the UK site manuals to be fine for repair procedures for years for my Civics. The maintenance schedules are a little different for the UK compared to the U.S.
Not sure how much Do-It-Yourself inclined the OP is, but for others, a 94 Accord manual may be had at http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/Accord93/index.html?flv=9
Factory service manuals and their excerpts are online free one way or another more and more these days. www.honda-tech.com is a good resource for finding factory service manuals and excerpts.
www.autozone.com has what appear to be Chilton manuals free online. The Chilton procedures are often identical to the factory service manuals. The 94 Accord's maintenance schedule is published for free there. The air cleaner is supposed to be replaced every 30k miles of two years, whichever comes first. People will scoff at some of this, but I think the truth is it depends on what one's budget is. I have never purchased a factory service manual and instead have used the resources above. I do brakes, timing belts, suspension work, valve adjustment everything but alignments, and always having a procedure on my workbench.
OP: The LX coupe, LX sedan, DX coupe and DX sedan all use the same engine. Hence the engine maintenance for these two sub-models will be the same.

Oh, I don't know ... Just checking one major maintenance item in the '94 Coupe maint. schedule, the timing belt replacement, shows a big difference compared to my Owner's Manual: the Coupe manual specifies every 60 K miles, my OM says 90 K. Big difference!

Engines, belts, and pulleys are mechanically identical the world-over. A Unitta timing belt installed in a SOHC F-series engine doesn't care if the engine resides in England or in North Carolina.
Some years ago, Honda suffered a couple of class-action lawsuits, for two things: 1) originally /not/ mentioning timing-belt replacement in their Owner Manuals, and then 2) specifying a too-conservative replacement interval of 60K when they finally /did/ mention it.
These had the result of forcing Honda to stretch US maintenance intervals as far as they dared. Honda never changed the maintenance intervals for non-US models. America's idiotic tort system is therefore ultimately responsible for the differences you see.
--
Tegger

I meant that the UK manuals will have the same timing belt replacement interval for both the Accord Coupe LX and the Accord Coupe DX (along with sedan versions): All are 60k for these cars when driven in the UK (= United Kingdom). I think it is more frequent in the UK because of the weather etc. there. Canada likewise has more severe weather, so if memory serves, going to the Canadian Honda site will turn up a 60k interval, too. The Autozone site shows the figures to use in the U.S. for both the DX and LX, either coupe or sedan in "normal" conditions: 90k or six years, whichever comes first, and the same as your owners' manual. Both the Autozone site and your Owners' manual have a 60k mile interval for "severe" conditions.

I've never heard the normal/severe distinction for timing belt replacement intervals before. Are you sure about that?

Elle is correct. Check your Owner's Manual. You'll find the "Severe" schedule mentioned somewhere on the pages near the schedule chart.There is no separate chart for "Severe".
--
Tegger

Yes, for fluids and filters, but not for the timing belt. I just checked my Owner's Manual again.

See my reply to Elle.
--
Tegger

Owner's manuals for U.S. Hondas have made this distinction for decades now. From googling, it seems Toyotas also make this distinction.
I have owned three different generations of Civics over 20 years now. Been working on them for ten+ years.
What make of car did you drive before?

I see at the online U.S. 1994 Accord Coupe owners' manual linked below that I am wrong and for timing belts, there is no distinction made in the actual owners' manual. Same for 1991 Civics.
See https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/AD9494/AD9494O00132A.pdf
I do not know why Autozone's site, which pertains to U.S. cars, shows two different maintenance schedules for the 94 Accord and other Hondas, one for normal and one for severe, with a 60k interval for the Accord under severe conditions. The American Honda site (under "Owner's Link") does not list any change interval for the timing belt for older Civics and Accords, though going to the owners' manual at rjanisis above shows, again, no distinction for timing belts.

<snip>
I checked too, and I'm also wrong, at least about the OP's 4-cylinder Accord and other 4-cylinder Hondas.
It turns out that it's the newer V6 models that have a dual schedule: If the vehicle is driven "regularly" at temperatures over 110F, or below -20F, then the 60K interval is followed instead of the 90K interval.
--
Tegger

wrote

The primary differences between US/non-US are in electrical, engines, engine controls, and fuel/emissions setups.
Other stuff is likely to be the same as US models.
--
Tegger