All the oil ran out of my new 2007 CR-V !!

Page 1 of 3
I have a one-month old 07 CRV with about 900 miles. Last night I noticed the oil light blinking randomly. I checked the oil level as soon as I got
home, just a couple miles later. It was down, so I added a quart. I did another short errand (5 miles), then checked the oil again. Still low, so I added another quart and parked it for the night. This morning I checked the stick and it showed nothing. So I added two more quarts, bringing the level up to full (2nd hole in the stick). I drove the car directly to the dealer this morning (about 5 miles) with no oil light coming on.
I now realize that the oil has been running out for a week or more. There are oil spots where I park my car at work, and two large spots in my driveway. The oil level was down 4 quarts!
Some questions...
- Has anyone else had this problem?
- What is the total oil capacity of this vehicle? I suspect it is just over 4q, so my oil was VERY low.
- Should I demand a new car from the dealer, since I drove it for some days this way? (Probably about 20-30 miles per day.)
- Any other thoughts/insights?
TIA, Chuck Connell http://www.chc-3.com -- My home page
Chuck Connell wrote:

Your owners manual could certainly tell you capacity of the sump.
You didn't check the drain plug? That would be the most likely culprit in my mind. Not being real familiar with Hondas yet, generally, a flashing light is worse than a solid light. In my Audi, if I had a flashing oil light, I would immediately pul over and turn off the car, as that indicates a severe lack-of-oil condition (versus a solid light which would mean I may be down a quart). So you could have done some serious damage to the car. The dealer will probably fix the oil loss problem and leave it at that.
Good luck.
Dan D '07 Odyssey EX
PS Just looked at my Oddy's manual, the light is actually an oil PRESSURE indicator, not an oil LEVEL indicator, and says that driving with it flashing or on can lead to severe engine damage. Again, this is in my Odyssey. DD
The previous generation of the CR-V had problems with the oil filter gaskets stacking up and then blowing out, resulting in loss of oil & fires, but it happened after the first oil change. At 900 miles, I assume you have not changed the oil yet, so the likely culprits are loose drain plug, loose oil filter, or road damage to something under it.
If at any point it actually ran dry, there is going to be engine damage. On a 1 month old car, unless you ran over something and put a gash in the oil pan, I would certainly try to make them replace it unless they can prove to you that no damage has been done.
On 12/12/06 8:29 AM, in article nqSdnZV3zoPqIOPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@conversent.net, "Chuck Connell"

Just got off the phone with the service rep at the dealer (Herb Chambers in Burlington MA). The crank seal was blown. The oil was pumping onto the ground as the engine ran. He said "it looks like everything is OK inside the engine". I said there is no way to know that without putting the crankshaft and cylinder walls under a microscope. He more or less agreed.
I said that I want a new car, and he agreed to escalate this to his manager.
Chuck

blow you off. Peruse with Honda for a new car. If that doesn't work be a nice guy and settle for a new engine. No luck, go for an engine teardown and have the rings, valve seals and whatever inspected/replaced. They put 4 qts of oil in the car because that's what it needs--you ran with a lot less--hard to imagine you got away damage free and you don't want it to haunt you for the life of the car. I am in the same area and might buy from that dealer so would you post how this all ends? MLD

Yeah, what he said. And if you don't get satisfaction on at least a new engine, contact your local Attorney General's consumer protection office. I don't know how things are out there, but here in Kansas they're pretty proactive at pursuing such things.
Chuck Connell wrote:

Wow! Already engine trouble on brand new cars??? Wow! Way too early.
I bet that Hyundai dealer will exchange with a new car.

first one I've heard of in the five years or so I've been here. Of course it is most likely a failure of the seal itself, and it's a good bet Hyundai gets their seals from the same vendor, for the same reasons Honda buys from them.
Few dealers would want to exchange the entire car; I doubt the Hyundai dealers are as foolish as you suggest. (You wouldn't do that, would you?) Infancy failures are legion - that's why warranties exist, you know - and they are usually handled on the concept of the "FRU" (field replaceable unit). In this case the unit is the engine, because the whole car isn't riddled with defects. A new car would mean the customer is exposed to being the field tester for a whole new vehicle again, with the increased risk of failures that implies.
Mike

Actully, they're extremely rare. The problem is, even a 0.01% field failure rate is considered catastrophic due to the absolute numbers involved. Plus the bad publicity generated therefrom.

And the worse the perceived quality, often the better the warranty, in an attempt at putting peoples' minds at ease. Anybody remember NSU's rotaries?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Chuck Connell wrote: <SNIP>

===================================================== Hmmmm Your owner's manual says you should _shut it down_ if you ever see the oil light come on. You said you drove it 'a couple more miles'. I don't think you're in a position to demand anything.
Hopefully it will be OK.
'Curly'
When I say "drove it for some days this way", I meant that I drove it for some days without knowing there was an oil problem. As soon as I actually saw the oil light flicker, I continued home (about 2 miles) and immediately added a quart of oil before doing my next errand. The oil light went out.
Chuck

It should be ok. I did something similar (oil light on, few qts low) with my 4th gen hatchback Si at about 125K miles. It's now at 240K miles and still runs great. Besides, not a whole lot you can do about it now. :\
nb

a major defect, why should he take any chances as to the effect it had on his engine. You would be surprised as to what Honda will do to protect the reputatioin of their engines. MLD MLD

a contact with Honda is mandatory. If they have any fear that there is an engine related problem they will go all out to find out what it is and will rectify your problem with minimal cost to you. As a absolute minimum you should have some diagnostic checks to determine if the engine has suffered some damage. The car is new--you don't an oil burner for the rest of it's life. MLD
I have not yet heard back from the dealer, about their intended resolution. I am now driving a rental, which they are paying for. If the dealer offers to install a new engine, I am wondering if I should accept it... It seems pretty complicated to me to replace the whole engine, with all of its many interconnections, and do it as well as the engine in a new car.
Thoughts on whether I could trust a dealer to do this right?
Chuck

major decision will come from Honda (since it was their new car that experienced a mechanical failure). The Dealer will get paid to do whatever Honda recommends so I don't think that he would be worried about his costs . If Honda will not replace the car ( fall over in surprise if they do) then I think that you will be doing well if you're offered a new engine. That should be the minimum offer, I just wouldn't want the one that's in there now. Inspection and replacement of some components may not get all the potential areas of trouble. I'd be concerned too about all the teardown and reassembly involved in a replacement but it's doable and much of the same teardown occurs if they were just inspecting/replacing the innards of the engine. Keep us updated as this is will be a good insight as to how that Dealer and Honda will respond. MLD

Chuck, I wonder why you think you are entitled to a new engine let alone a new car? I believe that you should make your decision based on what the dealer finds with your present car. If it was a manufacturing defect or a construction mistake, then I would agree that you should be entitled to a new engine. If it turns out that your problem resulted from damage caused by a road hazard, such as a hole in the oil pan or something striking the filter and dislodging it then the situation is completely different. To illustrate; if you bought a new battery for your car, and during installation you dropped the battery and knocked a hole in it, would you expect a replacement under warranty? I don't think so. Furthermore, you exacerbated the situation by continuing to drive the vehicle after the idiot light illuminated. If they really wish to do so, Honda can argue that you are responsible, at least in part, for damage to the engine. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I agree with that position, rather I am simply pointing out to you what may come down the pike. I would prepare myself for all contingencies and have arguments to counter them. As far as accepting a new engine, definitely! A new engine, installed by the dealership, should carry the same warranty as the original engine. In any case, good luck and I hope this all works out for the best for you.
DaveD

Dave and Trudy wrote:

He should get new engine if not get a new car even if the fault is on the driver. If this happens to Hyundai, with Hyundai aggressive service will replace new engine based on Hyundia's 5 years or 100,000 miles guarantee.

Hyundai isn't as stupid as you suggest; they are pretty smart people. They won't warranty something that is damaged through owner negligence, because it is spelled out in the warranty and that would be simply bad business. Leading car makers, including Honda and Toyota, have consistently given customers the benefit of the doubt and footed the bill for major failures that may be brought on by customer negligence. But that doesn't mean they are foolish about it.
Mike

problem with 5th grinding on a shift at 600 miles was that Honda would not replace the transmission -- in fact stalled me for well over 6 weeks until I just gave up and had the dealer fix the transmission. They found it had been incorrectly assembled at factory. A lot depends on your State laws -- and your willingness to hire legal assistance.