All those Russian dash cams

From the recent meteor event I was surprised to learn how widespread dash cams are in Russia. I've been thinking getting one myself as I could see its potential usefulness here, too, in resolving accident
disputes. I wonder if any of you use a dash cam and/or can recommend one that provides decent resolution and at least a half-hour continuous loop time. I've seen quite a few online, but most of them look either too cheap or not that convenient to use. Ideally, I would like something that could be fitted on the rear view mirror, with its bulk behind the mirror.
I have a feeling that all these meteor videos might increase interest in dash cams in the US, too.