Almost lost a socket

I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.
I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers, and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a hardware store.
Thanks, Jm
DemoDisk wrote:

It is a bit of a specialty item, but I have had good luck with what is basically a strong magnet attached to a metal collapsible antenna. It would be easy to make one but they are not expensive.
With the dust boot contacting the socket to brush it off, the magnet might not work, so it might have required the 3-prong grabber like you used.
The magnet tool is really good for small metal pieces that you can not see since you do not always have to make direct contact with whatever you are fishing for, and the thin metal rod allows you to reach places that you could never otherwise reach with your fingers.
On 04/05/2010 04:26 PM, DemoDisk wrote:

you need a locking extension bar - like this: <http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SP100A1798S146420019P?keyword=locking+extension
there are cheaper versions, but this is the general type you want. try before you buy - i've had to return one for not holding sockets well enough, but its replacement locks solid.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Turns out "DemoDisk" does not know how (or care) to properly cross-post. He posted this identical question to rec.autos.tech, and has responded to the single reply he got there.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

DemoDisk properly DIDN'T crosspost because he's seen so many damn flames directed at people who do crosspost. And he'll go to the trouble of thanking whoever bothers to reply. Even you.
Beyond that, I guess I don't care. I break all the rules. I'm a rebel.

Rebels sometimes get executed. Or kf'ed
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th.
DemoDisk wrote:

I've got one of these http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPathp_71&products_id '1
screwed to the end of a dowel. It will pull trucks out of the mud...

Piece of coat-hanger wire.
Bend a sharp 90-degree into one end, and cut that end off at about 1/8" long. Hook the end inside and under the square hole in the socket and pull up.
If you can't get the end to hook under securely, bend it a bit more than 90-deg, and tap it flat(ish) with a hammer.