Alternators

How long (in terms of mileage) does an alternator last?
I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX sedan.

It's generally the alternator brushes, and not the whole alternator say, that are most likely to fail at this point, assuming the alternator has not had anything else go wrong.
See http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id13.html for more discussion, reflecting a fair amount of what's been posted here in the past.

Failure on my 98 civic LX occured at 178000kms (110000mi). Failure mode was the bearings. They failed, which allowed the center shaft to shift. This caused to rotor to dig into the copper stator assembly, making a rebuild less than economical.
I actually replaced it with an alternator from the wrecker. $95 for a unit with only 118000kms (73000mi) on it.
Elle wrote:

loewent via CarKB.com wrote:

you should come to norcal. you can get alternators, sometimes _new_ ones if you're lucky, from junkyards for $35.

at the time, $35 US was about $95 canadian.... lol
Also, just a note, that the failure mode I listed had a noticeable whine before it failed for quite some time. Only upon disassembly did I discover that the stator was beyond repair...
jim beam wrote:

"loewent via CarKB.com" wrote:

maybe next time your car tries to tell you something you should listen to it, putting new bearings in the alternator is fairly easy and costs less than a whole new alternator.
By the time the noise was noticeable it was too late. The whine was the stator being eaten away.
Eric wrote:

wrote

warlock162 wrote:

100-150k, depending on use. on some makes [denso], you can replace brushes as a cheapo life extension. on others [mitsubishi], you can't and your only option is replacement. unless you're into recreational alternator repair, just get a reconditioned unit from a reputable source that offers decent warranties.

Here is my experience with Honda alternators:
'74 Civic 70K sold with original alternator still operational. '80 Accord 85K sold with original alternator still operational. '86 Integra 115K sold with original alternator still operational. '94 Integra GS-R 161K still running on original alternator '98 Odyssey 85K still running on original alternator
In 33 years of Honda ownership I have never replaced an alternator. YMMV.

`86 accord 90,000 miles and 150,000 miles alternator replacements mred
im wondering if a battery thats getting weaker can strain the alternator and cause it to go bad.
-jeff

it most definitely can. I would say more often than not that the battery and alternator are replaced at the same time.