Another Brake Q

I failed to mention in my previous post "Brake replacement question." That the squealing was starting before I replaced the brakes It would
stop when I press the pedal. Now after bendix parts installed same thing is happening. It is now happeing intermittently due to putting on new shims and permatex brake quiet. I have heard everything from shims, to OEM parts are needed to sticking caliper. I would think if it were the caliper that it would be more consistent.
On 9/14/07 1:28 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Have you checked that there's nothing wedged between the splash shield & the rotor?
( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) writes:

Try bevelling the leading and trailing edge of your brake pad linings. Put a 45 Deg. bevel on them with a file. Make the width of the new bevelled surface about one eighth of an inch (leading and trailing edges). Just wipe the other two edges with the file at the same 45 Deg. (width would be a scuff). Simple and easy to do, and may get rid of the noise. No guarantees... but it won't hurt to try it.
When filing anything, never drag the file backwards on your work, always lift it off your work, after your cutting stroke. Dragging the file backwards dulls the file.
M.A. Stewart wrote: . . . .

------------------------------
Our shop teacher said it was OK for soft metals like brass or aluminum, since the backstroke 'cleans' the file.
motsco_ (motsco snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com) writes:

But the finish won't be as nice. Debris will jam into the surface.
On Sep 15, 9:43 pm, snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote:

Why don't you take photos of your brakes disassembled and assembled and post them here. This is very interesting. The other thing is why are some focusing on a filing method. Burnished pads are least likely to squeal. If the file stroke is so important so as to not contaminate the file on the back stroke, why don't have a new file for each forward stroke.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1189794529.551555.13000@ 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

Have you tried the very simple expedient of doing your brakes exactly the way Honda designed and intended?
So far, after twenty-five years, *every single case* of brake noise I have ever encountered (besides those covered by TSB) have been due to aftermarket parts, or to incorrect servicing.
You need a competent pro here. That competent pro would be working at your local Honda dealer.
Get rid of those aftermarket <gag> parts and your problem is largely solved.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ