another question

how long should it take a car to get to the middle of the tempature gauge when it is semi warm out. i work a mile from home and yesterday it didnt take that long to get to the almost middle of the temp gauge. thanks for your answers.

Reply to
rynniki

Even I would walk that distance .

Reply to
Brian Smith

i have to go on a highway and i work in the evening. so do you have a answer

Reply to
rynniki

That sounds good. Rapid warm-up is a very desirable characteristic because the fuel economy and emissions are terrible when the engine is cold, so modern cars are designed to warm up as quickly as possible.

The time to worry is when it warms up rapidly and doesn't level off before it gets to the red part of the guage. That could be a sign the coolant is drastically low, the thermostat is jammed, or similar bad thing.

One note, though - with a commute that short you should drive the car far enough to really warm it up (at least five miles at a stretch) a couple times a week to drive the moisture out of the oil and exhaust. Condensation from combustion is acidic and will shorten the life of the engine and especially the exhaust if allowed to accumulate. You probably do that sort of driving anyway, but it would be good to make it a point.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yes. I think it is normal. But driving such a short distance is not good for the vehicle.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

I agree with the other posters that told you that it's about normal. However, if it is really cold--it will take longer. I once lived in Virginia. After a major storm--it seemed like it took forever for the car to get warm.

Since you drive such a short distance--on the way home from work--at least once or twice a week--take about a 5 mile drive on the freeway or interstate. Otherwise, your car will develop some problems. It would take lots of words to explain the reasons--just take my word for it.

Reply to
Jason

I do drive it 5 miles or more during the week.

Reply to
rynniki

On a single trip or total? They are recommending you take at least 1 5 mile trip per week.

Reply to
Seth

i do drive more than 5 miles a couple of times a week not just one day a week

Reply to
rynniki