Another sign of GM's desperation

Page 3 of 5
On Fri, 25 May 2007 21:28:10 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

Add me to the choir.
I thought the previous generation was a much better looking car.

Maybe you didnt but a record number did.
The Accord exterior is nice, but the dash is rather blah

I thought the same about the civic interior.. When I bought my recent car, I had the choice of quite a few various used civics and corollas.. I was actually leaning to the civic more at first. But... I just couldn't warm up to the drab and spartan looking interiors/dash on the civics.. Really plain and cheap looking to me.. On the other hand, the corolla interior looked a bit better to me.. To me, the interior of the corolla is kinda like being in a baby impala. Almost has a US car look to it.. Not quite so drab as the civic.. So... Even though I might prefer the outside looks of the civic, I prefer the inside of the corolla, and the inside is where I spend most of my time. One thing... My comparisons did not include the newest version of civic, cuz I was buying from used cars.. That was another reason I went with the corolla.. The 05 corolla I got is still the current version, until the 08's come out, where as the 03-05 civics were already a discontinued version. So the 05 corolla had a slightly newer look to it vs the civics I looked at being it was still a current version. I'm not totally anti american as far as car choice.. I don't have much problem with *any* brand car I get. I think maintaining them is a large part.. I wouldn't be afraid to buy GM.. Many are pretty good. We had a 02 impala that was a pretty nice car. Never had any trouble with it. But I was shooting for high MPG, and the civics and corollas were up in the top range for that, not counting hybrid.. I could have bought a hybrid civic, but I was paranoid to mess with it.. More to go wrong... I'd rather get 40 mpg from a simple gas burning engine with no batteries, etc, than get an extra 10 mpg with the extra complexity and cost.. In a long term financial view, I think the corolla costs less than a hybrid in the long term. Mainly cuz the initial cost is lower, but also upkeep should be lower in the longrun. You gotta consider insurance too.. But maybe that will change if gas hits 7 bucks a gallon.. :( My old 89 accord has a very nice interior.. Quite fancy overall.. Dunno why the newer ones got so blah looking.. MK

IMO, it's the back end of the new Camry that's ugly. (Up till now, they've been fine, IMO.) The Camry's dash & console, OTOH, I like a lot - at least (IIRC) on the higher end LE - its silvery-aqua with the light (pretend) wood is pretty: light & airy - visually appealing.
However, I've never bought a Camry & most likely never will, simply because it's a bigger car than what I need. Instead, the Corolla for me. If I ever spend more $ than a Corolla costs when buying a new car, it's going to be spent on a Prius!
Cathy
I'd just not get caught

We already do know.
We do know

Anything at this point is good for GM and other car makers...
GM could have a guess how many cars are in the lot and win a free car contest and it would be better than what they were doing.
I think it is an idea, not a sign of desperation. Lots of good points noted especially resale. My opinion is the following as I work in the industry (supplier to all makes) and own a Honda and a Buick and a Jeep, and a Dodge currently and drive about 50,000 miles a year as well as an enthusiast in the auto industry and offer the following..
- Without a doubt, resale is higher but this is only driven by demand. - Honda, and other importers did, and in many cases now do have better quality. When new players arrive going back years for example Isuzu, they would bend over backwards to back up and repair and make good on the first years, even out of warranty. - I will tell you with experience and dealing with many people in many OEM's that once the companies are established it is about market share and PROFITS, including the established imports.This is really been the message in the last 2 years. - MANY components are from the same supplier(s) across all brands. - Dealers and Service are only as good as the people, not the brand. - All vehicles need to be evaluated on there own merits in real time (not reputation) and I do not believe there is a huge desparity between brands (price point, quality) at the moment for established players.There is however personal preference in a choice in a car but this is manipulated also, how? - The number one occupation in 2007 with the highest increase in wages........... MARKETING. nothing wrong with this just a fact.

A non coffee lover Said:

CONGRESS, each year voting themselves an average salary increase of $8,000
But seriously, GM cars are perceived as 'Old People' cars. Hardly any young people even LOOK much less buy GM/FORD cars anymore.
Maybe GM or FORD should offer a new brand, "GANGSTA" brand for that young crowd with low IQ's and terrible taste in music.
It would sell. They could have the GANGSTA brand of cars sell at special dealerships with a 'theme' of guns, bongs, etc.
GM should 'Get Movin'

They do. Escalade
wrote in message

No, actually it's the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Magnum.
As a black person, I tend to notice such things. I think all of those cars are ugly, BTW.
Natalie
,

Americans are confused, especially the youth, look at what the listen to on the radio, rap music, they drive pimped out $500 used Honda Civics with a $5000 stereo system in the trunk and put a coffee can muffler on it and think they are driving a cool hotrod. Anyone driving a 70 Camaro SS is uncool cuz its American. They are actually sellouts. I hate to be around when they start to run the country, but the US is already dying anyway. Its burned itself out with ignorance and excess.
TopCat wrote:

I don't about with young people, but cars from the 70s are quite popular these days. They're also quite pricey. A lot middle-aged men are making projects out fixing these cars with their kids. A great investment and a great way to bond with your kids. Kind of like Tim the Tool Man Taylor did on the Home Improvement show.
Either way (90s Civic or 70s Camaro or 00s Model A), cool is in the eye of the beholder.
I think those pimped out Honda Civics are stupid, especially when a lot of people who do this would be better off using the time to visit the library and read the books there or using the money for education.
Jeff > They are actually sellouts. I hate to be around

,

*snip*
They "pimp" them out to race them.
Natalie
On Sat, 26 May 2007 13:05:01 -0400, Wickeddoll wrote:

Sometimes.
I've seen plenty of modified Hondas that, if you pressed the gas too hard, the suspension would shatter cause they heated the springs and shortened them rather than replaced them. This also sets the suspension screwy and throws handling and safety out the window. It's all for looks.
To build a suspension properly takes hundreds if nout a thousand dollars or more. Most of what you're seeing are poseurs. That pic of the Jimmy you posted a link to actually looked like it was done correctly (and why I said I liked it) rather than cobbed up junk.
A suspension and an exhaust don't make a Hot Rod. First steps, maybe.

My point is that young people have been disfiguring cars for as long as cars have existed. You can watch movies from the 50s and see some really stupid-looking modifications.
Kids will always try to individualize cars, in order to stand out.
Natalie
Wickeddoll wrote: <...>

Adults will often try to individualize cars, houses, bicycles,their bodies, whatever they have, in order to stand out, too.
However, not all kids try to individualize cars, though. Many don't have cars. And many who do, have other things to do.
Jeff
Jeff
"Jeff" <...

Not to the ridiculous extent kids do, though. Not usually, anyway.

Of course I'm talking only about kids who can afford to customize their car. My son can't afford to do anything with his '96 Mitsubishi Gallant, but he would if he could.
:-P
Natalie
,

Jackpot, your last paragraph needs no further explanation.

were you a hippy?

Of course,they aren't thinking about the better long term reliability of Hondas and Toyotas,or the better resale/trade-in value. Customers do consider that,at least smart ones.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik