Another sign of GM's desperation

Page 4 of 5

Quantity over Quality........
If the Detroit 3 (can't call them the Big 3 anymore) could sell enough vehicles they may someday make a profit :)
LOL
On Sat, 26 May 2007 13:31:52 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Don't read the news much, do you Mike?
Toyota Surpassed GM in First Quarter Sales
According to quarterly sales results announced today, Toyota became the worlds number one car company for sales for the first three months of this year. Toyota surpassed General Motors, the world leader for 76 years, for the first time.
According to Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Jesse Toprak, "This was not an unexpected turn of events, but it happened a bit earlier than forecasted because of GMs decision to cut fleet sales. GM wasnt making much money on those cars anyway, so the financial picture isnt dramatically different than before. All GM sacrificed in this decision was ego, since the executives knew Toyota would become number one sooner when much of GMs fleet sales were removed from the count."
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/04/24/045313.html
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070424/japan_toyota_gm.html?.v "
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId 03216
http://transport.seekingalpha.com/article/33283
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid 601087&sidpHhazF09vs&refer=home

Does that mean you believe the football team with the highest score in the first quarter 'won' the game, as well? LOL
mike

On Sat, 26 May 2007 18:31:25 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Do you think that the team with the lower score in the first quarter is winning? Do you think that the company that sold fewer cars in the first quarter "still sells more cars" than the one that sold more? LOL, yourself.
At best, GM is about tied with Toyota. Everyone knows that Toyota is going to pass GM. It looks like it will be this year, but if not then it will be next year. It is entirely possible that there will never be another quarter where GM outsells Toyota.

They've already outsold GM:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18286221/from/ET /
*snip rest*
You're conversing with a resident troll, BTW.
Natalie
You are confusing US sales with international sales that include markets in which GM does not operate. GM out sells all other Manufactures in the US, domestic or imports
mike
wrote:

.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Guess what Mike, the whole world matters to a business, not just the USofA.

I think Mike preferes the term " cheerleader " No matter how badly the team is doing, he is standing on the sidelines trying to ralley the troups.

The sad aspect of Mikes' posts is that there is a great deal of truth in many of them. His blind loyalty to American producers does have the effect of making everything he posts appear foolish. Yes there are differences in the philosophical approach to the design, and execution of the production of autos by American, and the different non American producers.
I have NO LOYALTY to any brand or manufacturer. I am only concerned about how well a vehicle meets my needs, wants, and desires. Having owned cars and trucks new and used for over 40 years, I can say that while all manufactures have produced great cars and total pieces of crap by the standards of the time they were made, IMHO, TODAY, there is only an insignificant difference in comparable cars produced by whom ever.
My current vehicles are 03 X-Type Jaguar, 01 GMC Jimmy SLE , just unloaded a 92 Taurus and about to pick up a Toyota Solara Convertible.
The vehement hostile attitude expressed by so many here against the different manufacturers does not make sense to me. I can understand despising a dealer for the way they conduct the service and sales department. Yes no matter who the manufacturer is some, poorly produced cars will come off the assembly line.
My biggest bitch about cars are poor ergonomics, and cheesy interior materials that look like crap. As far as reliability goes IMHO they are all within acceptable tolerances.

The problem is that the odds of getting a poorly produced car are MUCH GREATER with some manufacturers than with others.
So why take the chance?
Not so, they are not MUCH greater but rather closely bunched together. If you look at all of the surveys of owners problems, not as the 'list' that they are presented, but as the percentages they actually represent, you will discover they ALL have a failure rate of around 2%. 2% is the average failure rate for all industries, that is why ALL products offer a warranty. The question one should ask is, do I really want to spend 20% to 30% more to buy a particular brand in the hope I will NOT get one of THEIR 2% that are problematic?
Any brand one buys new today will easily run well over 100K or more before needing a major repair. One should therefore compare shop rates, part prices and the availability of parts, if they plan to keep a vehicle longer than the US average new cars buyers regimen of three to four years, or 60 to 80K on the clock before they buy another new car, since all manufactures today warrant their cars drive train for longer than the average trade time/mileage that buyers keep their cars
Since I switched for Lexus to domestics in 1999, I have saved thousands when buying another new car and hundreds annually on the prices I pay to have them serviced at the dealerships
mike

After my ten years is the fleet service business that serviced thousands of vehicles every month of just about every brand, I can tell you our years of record show there is no significant difference from one brand to another. Every manufacturer is making great vehicles today. The only real difference is style and price. After a dozen Toyotas and Lexus, I personally no longer buy imports because they simply cost too much more than the domestics I now buy. I do not own a GM vehicle.
Toyota should be worried more about the Koreans than the US manufactures. They are the ones that compete with Toyota in more of the worlds growing markets. They are building great cars that sell for thousand less in those markets
mike

Mike, I'm in Australia and in my humble opinion Korean-made cars are crap, particularly the Daewoo models that are going under the GM badge. Unless you're getting a different build Korean car in the US then I suspect you may be smoking something.
"simon" ...

He's actually a resident Toyota NG troll who lives in his own little fantasy land. He does not help the cause of promoting domestic cars. He's the worst enemy in that regard, because he never has facts to back up his bullshit.
Hell, he doesn't even bother to chime in when we *do* praise certain domestic vehicles. He only shows up to try to discredit any praise we have of Toyotas, or amplify any problems we may have (and yes, Toyotas have problems that we're not blind to).
If you want a more reasonable discussion regarding domestic vs. foreign vehicles, I suggest other posters. This one will never admit he's wrong about anything. Ever.
Natalie

Thanks Natalie, don't we love those fantasy land types (GWB is another one)
You are entitle to you own opinion but your statements are not factual. I have always said Toyota make great cars. I have also said, from what I've seen in my many years in the business, every other manufacturer today is making great cars as well. If pointing out that Toyota have problem on occasion make me a troll in you mind them I'm a troll but the fact is EVERY manufacturer makes some that are not up to snuff on occasion, the average for all manufactures including Toyota and Honda is around 2%, that is why they all offer a warranty, even Rolls Royce. You in the Toyota and Honda NGs, who cross post to domestic brands NGs to denigrate their vehicles, and praise those you buy, are the real trolls.
Our records over the years show the only real difference is style and price. I never suggest to anybody that the buy a particular brand, domestic or foreign, but rather that they drive ALL those that suit their needs, get a total drive home price for each and buy the ONE that suits their budget.
I do not own a GM vehicle and I personally no longer buy Toyotas or Lexus because my purchasing experiences proved to me after around a dozen of their vehicles, that Toyota and it dealers over price their vehicles and their service and many of their models are not only overpriced but underpowered compared to others in the market place. If others choose Toyota, that their choice, I could not care less.
mike

On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:51:33 -0400, "Mike Hunter"
And Mike is the foremost authority in non-factual statements.

Nobody has ever called it that succinctly before, Gordon.
LOL
Thanks!
Natalie
Naturally you are entitled to you personal opinion. Daewoo cars does not exist, at least in the US. The cars made in the former Daewoo assemble plants in Korea, that are sold by GM in the US are Suzuki models. The Korean brands sold in the US are Hyundai and KIA. Hyundai cars outrank similar Toyota and Honda models in survey done in the US.
Hyundai dealers recently allowed customers to ran a comparison test drive, between their car, a Civic, Corolla and a Focus. All were equipped the same. The price difference among the four cars from the Corolla down to the Hyundai was $5,100. The Corolla was the most expensive followed by the Civic, Focus, Sonata.
I personnly do not drive small cars and I no longer buy import brands but the question for one who does should be, is a Corolla worth 30% more to me than a Sonata? Particurally when the Hyundai has a 100K warranty and the price differance will buy ALL of the fuel for a Sonata for the three to four year the average American new car buy keeps their car before buying another new car.
Courier fleets use hundreds of those as well as Neon's, Corollas, Focus, VW, Civics and others. Courier cars are generally run around the clock and easily accumulate 100K or more a year. They remain is service from three to five years.
mike

Are you kidding, of course a Corolla is worth 30% more than a Sonata. You're comparing perfection with crap.