Any chance for a 4 cylinder hybrid Accord?

The 4 cylinder Accord is fast enough for me. I was hoping for a hybrid that can get 40 to 50 mpg. I think the hybrid companies should stop tuning for speed and go for max fuel economy with decent acceleration.
Any chance the diesel Accord might come to America? What is the gas mieage in U.S gallons? I know in UK Imperial gallons which are about 20% more it gets something like 54 mpg.
Reginald Prat-Jones wrote:

Maybe after 2007 when in theory we finally will get low sulfer diesel fuel in the US. For most applications a diesel will be much more cost effective than a hybrid.
John
On 11 Oct 2005 21:33:19 -0700, Reginald Prat-Jones wrote:

I've had my 2005 Accord i-CDTi 2.2 for just over a month and have done approx 1600 miles. I'm getting 46 to 48 mpg (UK imperial).
I think you would have to drive very carefully to average 54 mpg in the real world!
--
Richard

Any idea what that would be in U.S. gallons? I heard the UK Imperial is about 20% more?
46-48 mpg (UK) x 0.80???? = or 36.8 to 38.4 mpg (US)???
Pretty good mileage for a good sized car. The mid size diesel Merc we can get in the States now gets about the same mileage
My guess is as you break in the engine, your fuel mileage should go up a bit. I always heard that brand new engines get lower fuel mileage until they get over 4,000 or so miles. Maybe that is a myth.
How do like it? How is the acceleration?

FWIW, I tracked the mileage on a Ford Escort Pony from day one to nearly death. It steadily increased (sorry, the numbers died with a disk drive that I may still be able to resurrect) through 40k miles. Stayed steady for about 10K then declined slowly til I stopped tracking around 120K. Was still better than new IIRC. My son and then daughter killed it at 144 by neglect.
Reginald Prat-Jones wrote:

Litres in US = 3.78, UK = 4.54 Multiply the UK mpg by 0.83 to get US. 46mpg (UK) = 38mpg (US)
OT: Miles per gallon is an outdated and ambiguous measurement. A standard (e.g. litres/100km) should be adopted worldwide.
Jez wrote:

I am in Canada, where litres/100km is used. And I think it's a downright stupid measurement. km/litre would be better, but I'll stick to mpg, thank you very much.

I agree, mpg is a much easier measure to use.

That's a crock! Being able to see at a glance how many miles I can travel is a lot easier than having to think about the conversion to a useless Metric measurement.
Brian
Brian Smith wrote:

I'm not disputing the fact that mpg is useful for some people on a local basis. When you drive miles and fill up with gallons it makes sense to use Miles Per Gallon.
My point (which I didn't make clear) is that it's not suitable as an international measure because it's impossible to tell whether or not US or Imperial gallons have been used in the calculation. If I said that my car can do 46mpg, how do you know if it can really do 46 or 38 in your country?

We use litres and kilometres. But I grew up using miles and gallons (Imperial), so that is how I continue to view my vehicle's fuel consumption and mileage.

It's easy enough to do when someone mentions what their mpg rate is, a simple question (if they haven't offered the information already) would give you the knowledge of what size gallon they are using. Dealing in an international forum such as this one, it only makes sense for participants here to make it clear as to what unit of measure they are using. I try to make it clear that when I say that my V6 Accord's fuel consumption ranges between 29 and 42 mpg, that I am using Imperial Gallons.
Brian
On 12 Oct 2005 18:53:19 -0700, Reginald Prat-Jones wrote:

The fuel consumption is about what I was expecting, if it does improve over the next few thousand miles that will be a bonus :)

I'm very pleased with the car. The acceleration is very smooth and progressive allowing easy & safe overtaking. It also pulls cleanly from low revs for example 1200 - 1500 rpm in third gear meaning you have to change gear less often in slow town traffic.
The ride is also very good - not too soft so it doesn't roll much going round corners yet not so firm that it becomes uncomfortable.
--
Richard