ATF overfill

I just brought home my Accord from a reg. maintenance where the ATF was also replaced and when I checked the ATF level right after stopping the engine (still hot!), I found the fluid level about a 1/4 inch above the top mark. I'm pretty pissed by it but I wonder if this is an ignorable issue or I should go back and get it fixed. I wish there was an easy way to remove the excess fluid by myself but I don't know of any.

Reply to
Cameo

Nothing should be ignored--if they did it wrong, they should make it right.

This could be an honest mistake, or they could be incompetent.

Regardless, you know it's wrong--you don't need to ask us for permission to go back and make them make it right. That's why you went to them in the first place.

You should never, ever feel like you have the responsibility to fix what you paid to have done right the first time.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Did you check the fluid per the Owner's Guide. I've never dealt with a Honda automatic, but all the other automatics I am familar with call for checking the fluid with the transmission hot in park with the engine IDLING. You indicated you stopped the engine. This would definitely lead to a high reading on the dipstick since the fluid would drain back into the pan. Be sure you are measuring the fluid correctly! See your owners manual!

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed, I did it per Owner's Manual but that does not say that the ATF should be checked with engine IDLING. Here is the relevant section from the manual:

Check the fluid level with the engine at normal operating temperature.

  1. Park the car on level ground. Shut off the engine.
  2. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) from the transmission and wipe it with a clean cloth.
  3. Insert the dipstick into the transmission.

  1. Remove the dipstick and check the fluid level. It should be between the upper and lower marks.

  2. If the level is below the lower mark, add fluid into the tube to bring it to the upper mark. Use Honda Premium Formula Automatic Transmission Fluid or an equivalent DEXRON® II Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) only.

  1. Insert the dipstick back in the transmission. Make sure the notch fits in the dipstick guide and the dipstick is down all the way.

As you see in step 1: "Shot off the engine."

Reply to
Cameo

As I mentioned, I've never actually done anything with a Honda Automatic (both of the Hondas I have been associated with were manuals). My Nissan, Fords, and Mazda all say to check it with the engine idling in park. I wasn't sure of the process Honda used, I wanted to point out the importance of following the correct procedure.

If you have access to a fluid pump it is relatively easy to snake a tube down the dip stick hole and suck out a small amount of fluid. But since you paid for a fluid change, I'd suggest that you take it back to the shop that did the work and let them handle it.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" wrote in news:i7b3fs$cpv$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

OP did it correctly. Honda automatics are a bit weird: They require to have the fluid level checked with engine hot, and within one minute of shutting it off.

Reply to
Tegger

And that's exactly what I did. I drove back to the shop and the mechanic took care of it. So now the ATF level is at the top mark.

Reply to
Cameo

My 02 Odyssey specifies it with the engine off.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty