audio security code

I have a 2003 CR-V. I replaced the battery a couple of days ago, and as I expected, the radio is asking for the security code. I bought the vehicle
used from the local Honda dealer a couple of years ago. There is a five digit number written on the back of the manual that I have always thought must be the audio security code. But when I started to enter it, I noticed that a couple of the digits are higher than 6. There are only 6 preset buttons. Does this mean that the numbers on the manual aren't the security code, or does it mean that I'm just not smart enough to enter a number greater than 6? Any help will be appreciated. I have the serial number for the radio, I think.
Thanks

try looking under the ashtray for the code.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Bubba wrote:

The preset buttons represent the position of each digit in the radio code. While CODE is displayed enter the radio code by pressing preset button #1 the number of times represented by the first digit in the code, e.g. if the code is 32561
press preset button 1: 3 times 2: 2 times 3: 5 times 4: 6 times 5: 1 time
gww wrote:

no. and tegger's faq needs revision. the code only uses digits from 1 through 6. if the code is 12345, you enter those preset numbers, punching each one once only. if your "code" has digits 7 through 0, it's not the radio code.

Even Honda's tech info is unclear on the exact way you enter the digits.
So if the code was 43512, you would punch the presets IN THAT ORDER? In other words, 4th button first, then the 3rd button, then the 5th one, and so on?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

yup - that simple!
Thanks for the responses. I did try the method suggested by gww, pressing each button multiple times depending on the assumed code. It didn't work for my model. While the discussion was in progress, I decided to search the vehicle, again, for the elusive white sticker. Found it on a cup holder where I normally have my iPod holder. The number that worked contained no digits higher than 6. So I entered the number straight out like Jim Beam suggested and that worked.
By the way, I was able to get the serial number by holding down 1 and 6 simultaneously. That is a lot better than pulling the radio. Also, the serial number was on the white sticker along with the code. So the whole exercise was kind of humorous in hindsight. I've been trying to get somebody to tell me the code since Thursday night, and it was right under my nose.
Thanks

Damn. I will update the site tonight. Thanks to jim and Bubba.

That part IS in the FAQ. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/radiocode.html
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Long delay. Busy weekend. Site has just been updated. Hit Refersh/Reload to see the changes.
Is this better? http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/radiocode.html#pagetop
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

my 94 GS-R had the radio code sticker on the bottom of the ashtray.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Just added a short paragraph to that effect. (Hit Reload/Refresh to see the changes.)
This subject can get really complicated, you know?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

That's how it works on my 02 Odyssey.

I've changed it. Thanks to all.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

This is a FAQ because it's so common.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/radiocode.html
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
once you have code eg code 23561 press 2,3,5,6,1 then the radio will power up

I just noticed today that the "auto" function on the driver side window doesn't work since the battery was disconnected. How do I reprogram that to work again?
Thanks