Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic?

I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic instead.
Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the manual transmission?
Thanks!
Add pictures here
âś–

Hey Dave, another multi-poster!
Does it ever end? (no)
See my rely to this identical message in rec.autos.makers.honda.
Jackie dear, learn how to cross-post.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
TeGGeR® wrote:

    Since I don't even know how or why to cross-post, what is up wit dat? bob
Add pictures here
âś–

How depends on the newsreader you are using. Usually it's just a matter of listing the multiple groups in the destination line.
Why is so that replies to the message get seen by all applicable groups and people who follow multiple groups will only need to see the post once (once it's marks as read in one group the newsreader automatically marks it read in the other groups it's cross-posted to as the message as the same header)
Add pictures here
âś–