Automotive fiberoptic scope?

I've been wondering if there existed an automotive version of the colonoscopy scope instrument. ;-) I could see some usefulness in it, such as inspecting the inside of the cylinder chambers through the spark
plug hole, or even the inside of the fuel tank, though that could be dangerous due to the chance of explosion from a spark. Do mechanics use such scopes at all?

Yes, they can even be had from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-resolution-digital-inspection-camera-wi th-recorder-67980.html
But better ones are available...
Before digital camera's, Borescopes (often called Boroscopes) were the thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boroscope
But they were big, cost megabucks and delicate... and got more use doing things like inspections of airline/military gas turbine 'hot sections' and/or similar industrial work.
Erik
On 2/18/2013 5:17 PM, Erik wrote:

mechanics, but next time I'll ask them. I wonder though how spark-proof are these things to use them in fuel tanks. Well, I guess the same danger exists in colonoscopy, too. Plenty of gas there.

Far as automotive shops go, don't know how wide spread their use is. Probably limited at best.
For looking in fuel tanks... there wouldn't be much to see in there anyway. A bad fuel pump looks just like a good one, plus illuminating & navigating around in such a large space would be a challenge.
These things still mostly see use on equipment designed for their use... like heavy industrial & aerospace applications.
However, for years now plumbers have been using a variation of them for sewer line inspections.
Have heard the law enforcement industry (and related little cloak/dagger outfits) now have & use a variety of similar specialized camera's.
Erik
On 2/19/2013 4:45 AM, Erik wrote:

I was thinking of seeing how much dirt or rus may be deposited there over the years.

I've had one of those inspections ones in an underground rain water pipe when the downspout was filling up. Turned out that some tree roots clogged it.

Yes, I've seen that in movies as they snaked those things under doors before storming in.

I use these frequently to inspect the inside of extruder barrels. Much easier than dis-assembly just to inspect.