aux belt removal 2004 Accord ctdi

Hi,
How do I do this? Normally, I find a tensioner by pulling on the belt and one of the pulleys moves. But everything is solid on this, do I need to
loosen something first?
Thanks
On 02/05/2010 06:06 AM, IB wrote:

what does it say in the service manual? seriously dude, you shouldn't be trying to do a job like that without the book telling you correct procedure, torques, etc. especially not on a diesel.

I'm sure this is something that can be successfully described from one decent mech who knows, to another?
On 02/05/2010 08:02 AM, IB wrote:

yes indeed. in fact, there were a whole team of "decent mechs" that got together to successfully describe exactly the information you seek - when they wrote the service manual.
i know this is not what you want to hear dude, but the fact is, diesels are much less forgiving than gasoline engines. if you don't follow service procedures, particularly torques in the much more vibratory diesel environment, you can have an extremely expensive learning curve on your hands.
if you don't feel like buying the manual, and can't find a source online, you can probably borrow one through you're local library's inter-library lending system.

Thanks, actually, after spending some more time looking more closely, I discovered that it is a completely normal spring loaded idler, just a great deal more force needed to push against the spring than I've experienced before (had to make up an extension on a 14mm ring spanner).

As I said in my reply on Saturday. Did you miss that reply?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Well, I'm sure it wasn't there earlier but I see it now, very strange.
Thanks, I've sorted it out now.

I see this is a diesel. North America, where I live, has no Honda diesels.
But if the belt system is constructed like most other newer Hondas, you put a long wrench on the tensioner pulley, and use that to lever the tensioner inwards to relieve tension on the belt. The tensioner is unlikely to move just by pushing on the belt with your hand.
The tensioner has a wear gauge consisting of a couple of marks on its top surfaces that need to be in alignment for the belt to be considered still- good. See if you can find those marks.
For reasons of wear gauge calibration, the use of an OEM Honda serpentine belt is highly recommended.