axle R&R on '86 Honda Accord

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:djcio0$gbf$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

No, I don't have them any more. I took some pics, kept them around for a few week, then tossed them during a fit of housekeeping zeal.

I guess I could just buy a new one ($15 or so), and try cutting that up. $15 would be an acceptable price to avoid nightmares later on. In fact, I'm going to do just that.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:djci7h$g6l$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

It makes sense now.

I didn't know the inner joint would not fit through the damper fork. Never replaced driveshafts before. Never had to.

Unfortunately not the Beach Boys kind.

1) The steering wheel waggles slowly 1/4 to 1/2 inch on hard acceleration as very low speeds. 2) During *acceleration* at highway speeds, the steering wheel vibrates at almost all speeds, but then stops once you are coasting or decelerating, which I understand is a classic inner CV joint symptom.

More:

1) Tires are old and worn. When you run your hand over the tread, three seem to be worn reasonably evenly, with little feathering apparent. One has excesssive outer rib wear, seemingly due to excessive toe that existed on the rear before I replaced the bushings and had the car realigned. 2) There is one bent wheel that has been that way for 13 years. It contributes to the 60-70mph vibration at highway speeds when that wheel is on the front. I have a spare wheel and will replace bent one in the spring. 3) Front bushings are very worn and saggy. Perhaps they are allowing excessive suspension movement?

Mechanic insists my inner CV joints are fine, that the problem is most likely the tires.

Inner and outer CV joint boots have never split. I've always had the outer boots replaced at the first sign of cracking.

How can I test the inner CV joints on-the-car (without a hoist) myself?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:djci7h$g6l$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

A challenge of course, but so is using Windows without a mouse. Sure, it

*can* be done, but why would you want to? There's a reason technology marches forward and mice and air wrenches get invented.

I actually tried renting an electric impact gun, but I waited too long and all were rented out for the weekend, so I was limited to Teggerdraulics.

By the time I had the rear suspension apart, I was more than happy to have the machine shop knock the old bushings out and replace with new. I did replace the stabilizer bar and link bushings myself with the help of a vise and silicone grease.

Keep in mind this car is my daily driver. I HAD to have the job finished by Monday AM, so I could not take a few days to experiment.

I pulled it apart Friday afternoon and evening, brought the parts to the machine shop Saturday AM, and picked them up again Saturday afternoon. I finished the job Sunday. Most of Saturday that weekend I was visiting my mother in the hospital, where she'd just had a hip-joint replacement, so I didn't have as much time as I ordinarily would.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote

Plus I presume the extension of the car body's life justifies the cost. (About what do you pay each year for this treatment?)

One of the things that I think will be limiting on my car is the undercarriage rusting out so badly that I can't jack the sides up but instead can only do the ends.

Well, I'm only an amateur. All of the regulars here have more experience than I. You got much farther than I did on the first part of your Integra's suspension job (of course!).

Interesting.

Reply to
Elle

Your assuming that the brinelling was my fault. It was not. It was the fault the ENGINEERS who desgined the transmission! Plus it must have been a bad day in Yokahoma when the transmission was built because the guy who put it together forgot to tighten the reverse gear nut. Fortunately, he did stake the nut.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Rust in Winnipeg? That is nothing compared to the rust in Montreal! 87 `ludes Dude, use Fred Flintstone brakes in Montreal today!

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

you don't "design" brinelling. it's not a factory assembly error. it's the result of excess force at some subsequent time. period. and "loose" is a feature of bearing wear, not factory. all this points in the same direction...

Reply to
jim beam

I don't know what the best hacksaw blades in the world are. I have a Sandvik blade that surprisingly cuts fast and smooth. The teeth are very sharp, and stayed sharp for a long time.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Inner and outer joints on a 3Gee won't fit. As for you car I don't know. Maybe ask people around your location who have R&Red shafts on your model of car.

By feel maybe, comparing to a new Honda shaft?

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

I had to that on my Accord... four-foot cheater and I had to stand on it, and bounce a bit to crack the nut.

I'll go along with that... I found the bolt was so solidly 'welded' into the rubber bushing that I could crank it almost a complete turn without it coming loose, the bushing just stretching with it. It did eventually come loose, with a lot of alternating twisting and hammering on the end of the bolt.

Reply to
Matt Ion

"Elle" wrote in news:kdN6f.465$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

$110Cdn (about $90 US) per application. The car's had it done every single year since new. I've started doing it in the spring as well, so twice per year. Also I do regular touchups with a spray-can in especially vulnerable areas.

I figured if I didn't do it, the car would fall apart and I'd need to spend $2,000 at a bodyshop anyway...

I've got no rust anywhere. Jack points are like new. Part of that is diligence by me apart from the rustproofing.

Just a month ago I got rid of some surface rust that was starting in the rear wheel wells at the bottom right where they meet the rocker panels and form the wheel well lips. It ground off back to bare steel easily. I applied zinc primer and paint, using a heat gun for ten minutes to cure the paint quickly. After that some rubber-based undercoat covered up the paint as protection from stone chips.

What I thought of later today was not to buy a bushing to dissect, but instead to call a machine shop supply place on Monday.

The metal used for the sleeves can't be much harder than hard stainless steel, or much harder than a metric 10.9 bolt. You'd think a machine shop supply place would know how to cut through hard stuff without power tools.

Stay tuned...

Yeah. He says it takes hours and hours, I wouldn't want to pay for all that labor, and he wouldn't want to tie up his shop for that.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:djgpi8$oks$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

I'm calling a machine shop supply place tomorrow.

Thanks for you help.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:djgq23$otf$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

Well, yeah. But what specifically are you feeling for?

Do you need to have the suspension in a certain attitude in odrder to feel it? Is ANY play not acceptable?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

OK - I get it now. What you're saying is that the special tool grips the top of the stalk, BELOW the start of the actual ball joint. That is, there must be some kind of a 'lip' there, directly part of the stalk, that the tool seats its upper arm under - right? I didn't know that. The tricky way pulls up on the part the ball joint sits in, from the 'top' so-to-speak, thus stressing the joint. So I see the point about stressing the 'wrong' parts, but still, many people have done it this way and I've seen NO reports of damage to ball joints. Not one. If someone did damage the ball joint doing it that way, they'd post immediately to the forum yelling at the top of their lungs DON'T DO IT!

So it may be a safe procedure, even given the fact that stress is put on the ball joint itself. But I have noted the great concern you have about me doing something I may later regret, Bill, so I promise I will look and see if our one rental place has one of these special tools for a reasonable rental fee, and if it does, I'll use the tool. If not, I'll try the 'trick,' but being as careful as I can.

True, true.

The tool you're referencing has the same exact design as the tool I referenced after I did my post-failure posting

but the tool I found sells for $19 - yours sells for $53.49
Is the one I found maybe junk? - it looks less sturdy than the one you reference.

Never heard of an 'emergency room deductible'! But right, right, right - I CAN'T afford the car, or the insurance, or the licence, or the tires, etc. Really can't. Until I get some more income coming in. Hard to get more income coming in without wheels! It's a cosmic law that when financial difficulties arise, car problems that have been 'lying in wait' will spring forth...

Reply to
glenn

The other day I found a car just like this on the California Highway.

Burt S.

Quoting from someone, "... I still dont understand why people remove the ball joints when installing axles..."

This method does not even require separating the tie rod ball joint. A cost effective (trick) method. Here's a simple but not detailed input by ferio 95.

same link

Reply to
Burt S.

sure, you can do it like that too. but it's even more heavy garbage you have to work around. besides, popping the joint allows you to manually inspect and make sure it's ok. one consequence of it /not/ being ok has been posted by burt!

Reply to
jim beam

The cheap one looks okay. The big difference I see is that the expensive one has two pivot points so it can handle both large and small ball joints. For Hondas I think the $19 one will do it.

Mike (who has the expensive one!)

Reply to
Michael Pardee