B18C5 or B18c1

OK Im nearly ready money wise to do a engine swap on my 93 civic del sol si. But I have a tough desicion to make as what engine to get. Im not sure if I should get the b18c5 type R or the the GSR b18c1 engine. I hear that the type R is not a good engine to turbo but the GSR is good to turbo. Im not sure if I wanna go all motor or turbo. Im scared of turbo for reliability issues as Ive lost my 90 supra to overboost and fried my engine. Anyways any help would be seriously appreciated. Im not a fan of the H22 . I'll probably stay the B series .Also what about a K20a2 will that fit into my del sol? MY current engine (D16Z6) only has

60K miles and runs flawlessly ..should I just turbo it???? PLease help--signed Needs mORE horsey's..
Reply to
Private Private

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Private Private) wrote in news:4996-4608A864- snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3234.bay.webtv.net:

I'd keep the current motor and turbo it,but don't overdo it on boost. Just how much HP are you aiming for?

I thought B18 motors were getting hard to find.(unless you go JDM) Also,there's a company that specialized in K motor swaps,I can't recall the name,but Google should turn it up.They can provide you with motor mounts,wire harnesses,ECUs. K motors are still current production,IIRC. You would need the transaxle along with the K motor.

Swaps are still a lot of work,though.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

get one of these.

and get an 89 crx. substantially lighter than the del sol. power/weight ratio is what matters.

Reply to
jim beam

I know the CRX is lighter but I like the look of the del sol better. Plus my Del Sol is in flawless condition ..its looks like it did in 1993 when it came off the showroom floor. I bought the car from my Mom in

2003 and it only had 27K miles on it.It currently has New Paint ,no leaks etc. anyways thanks for the heads up information. I should add that Im not doing the install myself Im considering a shop in florida that has a great rep doing swaps.................Thanks Guys..
Private Private

then you're not serious about performance. which is just as well because almost nobody races a del sol. keep this vehicle as stock - it's /much/ more valuable that way. spend your money buying a car that you /can/ work with. it's probably cheaper too - you can pick up a lightweight 89 civic for almost nothing. and consider your priorities: money spent on keeping paint shiny is money /not/ spent on making the car go faster.

Reply to
jim beam

Well, price is going to make the difference between the type R and the GSR. I'd sit with either of those for a while before I decided I needed more power, i.e. turbo. Since the Del Sol was available with the B series b16, just a B18 conversion is not that far off from Honda OEM as to be troublesome or difficult to sell eventually.