bad acceleration on '01 Civic

I've had my '01 Civic EX for about a couple of years now. I've been maintaining it well (regular oil changes, timely servicing, etc). Recently, the acceleration on my car really sucks. I see older Civics,
Corollas and Sentras zoom past me when the traffic light turns green! I was planning on getting a tune-up, but I read somewhere thats tune-ups are waste for newer fuel-injected engines. My question is what can be done to get some improvement in the pick up? Thanks is advance for your response.
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 12:22:29 -0800, dman wrote:

You need a tune-up.
Get new plugs and wires, and if you are near 90,000 miles, replace the timing belt and water pump.
"Tune-ups" are not the same anymore, but service is still required. You could also have a problem with your coil pack or your computer itself.
If you are not so handy with cars, take it to a trusted mechanic and tell them the symptoms. They should be able to nail it down for you pretty quick.
Joe
| > what can be done to get some improvement in the pick up?
In 6-02 I saw a new Civic vtec 1.6 with very short * : a waste of vtec ( no way is torque / mpg esp @ high rpm maximised ). www.turborick.com/gsxr1127/gasoline.html para 10.2(1) indicates how bad a civic's * is. Many car makers ( incl Nissan in Sunny 130Y , Hyundai in Sonata 2.4, Proton in Waja 1.8 ) save on *, because 99.9 % buyers have no chance to test drive on highways, or know / experienced a difference between short & long branch *. Honda fits only short branch ( 4 into 1 pipe ), cheap & heavy cast iron * for its engines <2.2 litre www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13sm40_d08.gif , even a F22A's *'s twin pipes are short. www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d800cf8b3.gif bottom Results are [i] lower though adequate torque @ low rpm ( as during buyers' test drives ), but very low ( < as much ) torque & mpg @ high ( >3000 ) rpm : inadequacy increases with rpm. [ii] on highway when >3000 rpm is needed, user cannot change gear from neutral to drive w-o a jerk ; crank shaft etc. cannot spin fast enough from idle to

long branch *. http://circletrack.com/techarticles/73598 My local-made 4-2-1 * [i] uses aluminised mild steel [ii] is 13 kg < original * [iii] has longer twin pipes than a F22A's * [iv] twin pipes' interiors' total cross section area is 60% > original * ( single pipe )'s.
Many ways to chk engine's efficiency, e.g. chk compression. www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0c/f3/e5/0900823d800cf3e5.jsp
dman wrote:

Run a can of fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank twice a year, for starters. Using Gasohol from time to time will sometimes accomplish the same thing.
'Curly'
'Curly'
definitely change the spark plugs. honda recommends NGK spark plugs or Nippon Densa. Also you should upgrade your spark plug wires to Accel plug wires which are high performance but are durable enough for everyday use. do those things and you will no longer complain about acceleration.
-jeff