bad acceleration on '01 Civic

I've had my '01 Civic EX for about a couple of years now. I've been maintaining it well (regular oil changes, timely servicing, etc). Recently, the acceleration on my car really sucks. I see older Civics, Corollas and Sentras zoom past me when the traffic light turns green! I was planning on getting a tune-up, but I read somewhere thats tune-ups are waste for newer fuel-injected engines. My question is what can be done to get some improvement in the pick up? Thanks is advance for your response.

Reply to
dman

You need a tune-up.

Get new plugs and wires, and if you are near 90,000 miles, replace the timing belt and water pump.

"Tune-ups" are not the same anymore, but service is still required. You could also have a problem with your coil pack or your computer itself.

If you are not so handy with cars, take it to a trusted mechanic and tell them the symptoms. They should be able to nail it down for you pretty quick.

Joe

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

------------------------------------

Run a can of fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank twice a year, for starters. Using Gasohol from time to time will sometimes accomplish the same thing.

'Curly'

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

definitely change the spark plugs. honda recommends NGK spark plugs or Nippon Densa. Also you should upgrade your spark plug wires to Accel plug wires which are high performance but are durable enough for everyday use. do those things and you will no longer complain about acceleration.

Reply to
Jeff

| > what can be done to get some improvement in the pick up?

In 6-02 I saw a new Civic vtec 1.6 with very short * : a waste of vtec ( no way is torque / mpg esp @ high rpm maximised ).

para 10.2(1) indicates how bad a civic's * is. Many car makers ( incl Nissan in Sunny 130Y , Hyundai in Sonata 2.4, Proton in Waja 1.8 ) save on *, because 99.9 % buyers have no chance to test drive on highways, or know / experienced a difference between short & long branch *. Honda fits only short branch ( 4 into 1 pipe ), cheap & heavy cast iron * for its engines original * ( single pipe )'s.

Many ways to chk engine's efficiency, e.g. chk compression.

TE Chea