Bad Ignition Switch?

I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic LX.
Every once in a while, when I attempt to turn the engine on, I hear a "zapping" sound instead. If I turn the ignition key back in the off
position and then try again the engine starts normally.
Is this a sign that the ignition switch is going bad?
--
tb

tb wrote:

Is that where the noise is? Inside the car by the ignition switch?
GW
On 01/13/2014 09:27 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote:

My impression is that the noise comes from under the hood somewhere...
--
tb

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:03:19 +0000 (UTC), "tb"

Could be. I had one go bad in a similar way. It finally got intermittent enough that I saw a little smoke come out of the steering column shroud which sort of gave it away.
On 1/13/2014 10:03 AM, tb wrote:

Honda sent out a bulletin a few years ago about this ignition switch. It had been designed poorly and failed at about 100,000 miles give or take. Mine failed right at 100,000. You need to get the new part number for the fixed switch before you replace it. This job is not terribly difficult. This same switch was used in most Honda models and has plagued Honda owners everywhere.
Michael