Bad Squeaks!

My 1990 Accord EX-R (an otherwise excellent car) squeaks badly when driving or turning the steering wheel. I can feel the vibrations of the squeak through the steering wheel and people on the street turn to hear it as well. It's LOUD!

After having my mechanic spray lubricant in many suspension and steering components, and replacing some control arm bushings I'm still left with a very noisy car. Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

thanks,

Michael

to reply to me, remove the "z" at the beginning of the address

Reply to
Michael

"Michael" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Check the brakes.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:15:40 -0400, "Michael" puked:

How's the power steering fluid level?

lab~rat

lab~rat wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Good point!

Or the belt tension. A loose belt may squeal when turning, but not when going straight. It will also have a tendency to squeak when starting up from cold.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks for your replies,

Tegger, would your suggestion apply to when the brakes are not being used? When I turn or hit a small bump the noise is loud. When I apply the brakes I don't always hear the squeal.

I just checked the power steering fluid and it's OK.

This sound is really a creaking rather than squeaking noise. It doesn't begin until the car has begun rolling. It's not necessary to turn the steering to hear it although turning the wheel can produce the sound. Also, when you park the car, the creak can continue for 20 to 40 seconds as the car settles. It's located on the left side of the car.

Regarding belt tension - new belts were recently installed with a new alternator, with no change in the creak sound.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Can you make the noise just by pushing down on the front bumper? May need to check out the upper A arm bushings, but I've never encountered a

90 Accord with squeeks there. bob
Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

"Michael" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Are you saying the squeak occurs even when the car is not moving? Does it stop immediately if you shut the engine off while it's making the sound?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Reply to
Michael

The action of me getting out of the car (after turning off the ignition) promotes this sound in a small, brief way. Seems like taking my weight off the car prompts the sound. After I close the door and stand beside the car I heard a quiet creaking on the left front side for 10 to 20 seconds.

It doesn't seem related to engine operation. Just rolling over bumps or steering creates the creaking noise.

My mechanic is not sure what to look at next, by he's game to try.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

"Michael" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Aha! We're narrowing it down.

Two likely causes:

1) Balljoint seizing. 2) Suspension spring creaking in its bottom seat.

Tell your guy to spray some silicone lube on the spring all around right where it meets the seat on the damper housing. Multiple applications may be needed. Drive down a bumpy road for a while to help move the spring in its seat to distribute the lube.

Don't be stingy with the lube, but DON'T get any overspray or drips on the brakes!!!

If that does not help, pop the balljoint out of its hole in the lower control arm, and try to wiggle it. Your mechanic should be able to tell from that if it's sticking or not.

If it turns out to be the ball joint, George Macdonald recently posted his own experience using a grease gun and needle attachment to add grease through the boot:

TeGGeR®

"Michael" wrote

A good shock absorber shouldn't let the squeaks persist for 10, 20 or 40 seconds. Probably the dead strut had destroyed a few rubber components. The suspension is now rubbing on metal to metal. I'd start inspecting the bushings, boots and any hidden areas for rips.

If you push down on the bumper and it bobs up and down more than three times, the strut is worn

Reply to
B Squareman

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:35:40 -0400, "Michael" puked:

If you push down on the front of the car can you hear it? You might have squeaky springs.

lab~rat

I tried this one first. However the strut comes back up and that's all. No bounce.

Reply to
Michael

I had the same problem on my 2001 civic a few weeks ago. But the squeaks dissapeared after I made a 1000 km trip (140km on bumpy country road). I still do not know what happened.

At the beginning, my car had the "groan, squeeze" sound come form the left front suspension. When pushed left front size down, it made the noise.

After I posted the problem in the news group, I was told that a bush may be wrong. I did my best to inspect all the bushing. But they all looked good.

Since it was really annoying, I called the dealer. What they could say was to drop the car and let the machenics check it. I was afraid of getting a big bill because the noise sometimes went off and I worried the mechanics would change everything of the front suspesion. I gave up and waited the noise getting a little bit louder and continuous.

Then I went to a long trip. Before the bumpy country road, I could still hear the noise occasionally. I did not pay attention to it because the noise is not loud and I could only hear it when the speed was lower than 60 km/hour. After the trip, I drove it in the city area, it disapeared!!! I could not hear it any more.

That's my experience. I still do not know what happened. I hope it healed by itself.

Henry

"Michael" ???? news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

Reply to
Henry

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:10:01 -0400, "Henry" puked:

Maybe a lube job would help?

lab~rat

It's with the mechanic now - I passed along recommendations from the group!

Reply to
Michael

"Michael" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Please update us when you get it back.

It's funny. This situation lab~rat describes is exactly what happened to me several years ago after I was involved in a fender-bender. Since it was in the body shop over Christmas, it took over a month to get the car back.

That month's inactivity caused exactly your sort of creaking in the right front spring. A week of driving and it was gone, so I chalked it up to corrosion between the spring and its seat. However, a few months later, THIS happened:

Were they related? I'll never know.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"lab~rat" ???? news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I just had my car done type C service at that time for a month. I guess that all the suspension components were inspected.

When I was checking the joints, I found out that it is impossible to lube them because almost all the joint are covered by the rubber (well sealed). How to do a lube job?

My front suspension components were all changed in last year because of leaking shocks in 2001 civic. I paid about CND$100 for the bushings that were not covered by warranty. I guess they all suppose to be new for a year.

How about the the bushing of STABILISER BAR? Nobody mention it.

Reply to
Henry

"Henry" wrote

How to do a needle lube? I reckon this was already posted by someone. Here's a direct link.

Same link as above

B Squareman

Great! Thanks

Henry