Bad Timing Belt?

dude, that's in seriously bad condition. you were lucky to catch it before it broke. it's guess the belt was /way/ over-tight.

Reply to
jim beam

DO NOT pass Go. DO NOT collect $200. DO NOT drive your car or go directly to jail. That is the worst belt I have seen on a car that is still running! Replace it now or risk it breaking and bending valves, then you'll have to pull the head.

See some of my prior messages about timing belts...

This is the tool you'll want to use to hold the pulley so you can break the pulley bolt loose...

From your photo, it looks like you'll also want to replace the upper and lower covers and gaskets especially if they are warped due to oil exposure. As my other posts have stated, replace the water pump, cam and front crank seals, and timing belt tensioner. If this project seems overwhelming, then find a good independent shop that specializes in Hondas to do it for you. An incorrectly installed timing belt can cost you your engine.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I was remiss before: Any liquid falling on the timing belt can reduce its life significantly. So shucks yes, a missing lower cover sure could do this, from my reading, especially if you've been driving through some flooded roads.

Confirm that timing belt cover really is missing via the exploded parts drawings at

. Order a new belt and new cover. Replace. Hopefully you'll be good to go. Also, Eric is one of the Kings here; incredibly experienced. Believe whatever he tells you.

Yes, but yours takes a different version. Both are shown at my amateur web site, previously linked in this thread, and there is a link to a description of a home-made one. Or, as Eric said, you can buy the tool. I think if you shop around a bit on the net, you can find a somewhat cheaper one, like for around $25 before shipping/handling. Ebay is definitely worth checking, too.

Reply to
Elle

Gee, thanks. Now I have the willies! The timing belt on our old (non-interference) Volvo developed some crazing on the back of the belt before I changed it, but I never thought I'd see anything like that and the engine still running.

Mike

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Eric" wrote

I was curious about what Ebay currently has to offer. A few like the one pictured at the link above are available, but there is also this, for the price of $19 before shipping and handling:

Anyone tried this version?

Reply to
Elle

Only to triple-check everything after you get the new belt on and before you put the cover on. Familiarize yourself with the adjustment (timing and tensioning) procedures. I think one of the links posted here talks about making marks on the edge of the old belt, transfering them to the new belt and using that to verify timing on the new belt. If not, ask for more details.

Except for that forsaken crank bolt the job is really not that much worse than a brake job, and an impact wrench is the easiest way to loosen the crank bolt... especially if somebody else is using the impact wrench ;-) Retightening is not nearly so bad, especially if you have a holding tool. Even with just a strap wrench to hold the pulley you can get enough torque on the bolt.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

No, but it looks like it should do the job. The weld between the fitting and the stamped handle might not hold up to repeated use.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It occured to me - I was talking with our fiber optic cable guru just this week about some damage we had up here from a falling tree, and he was concerned whether the Aramid/Kevlar strands were exposed. He said water severely reduces the strength of Kevlar. I bet the same threads are used for strength in the timing belts, in which case water exposure could cause the sort of "chapping" action the picture shows.

I don't see much on the net about it, though.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote

Good anecdote.

I agree that tool I linked earlier looks flimsier. I would hope it would last at least two TB changes, which is pretty good for $25 total or so. Since "Performance Tool" makes it, then IIRC Pep Boys might carry it, and one could ask what the return policy was. It's specifically supposed to work on certain Hondas, per the description, so I would think PB would refund money readily if it broke the first time around.

Note to some others: If you cannot see the detail in the photo the OP linked, do not feel bad. Neither can I.

Reply to
Elle

Reply to
ajtessier