bad transmission - 2500 dollars

Hi,

I took my 98 civic to an authorized honda dealer. they read the code P0730 - Incorrect gear ratio. Now they suggest replacing the transmission for 2500 parts and labor.

Some q's:

Is there any chance honda is wrong in saying the only thing to do is get a new transmission. There is something wrong with the car, the check engine light came on a week ago, I had it reset, and now it's on again, so it's not just a fault with the computer. Also the car jumps slightly (almost impersptably) when i step on the gas after starting it.

The car seems to run fine otherwise. How long is it possible for it to keep going?

Will it just break down on the freeway one day (not safe to drive), or will it just gradually get worse?

Anything I can do besides replacing my tranmission? The dealer said just baby it and don't change the transmission fluid as this is any metal particles in it now keep it running fine, so don't change it.

I was planning on getting rid of the car in a few months anyway, as I will not need a car for a while (going back to school). I don't want to rip someone off by selling them a car that seems fine, but has a a bad transmission, on the other hand i sure don't want to pay 2500 for a new transmission. Any cheaper alternative fix I can do or other suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
albert.mills

If it is an automatic and you are getting a remanufactured transmission installed, $2,500 is not a bad price.

Reply to
tww1491

Before spending $2,500 and perhaps not fixing the problem, I'd want a second opinion.

Yes.

Unless the computer has an internal intermittent fault or there is a sensor problem or an intermittent wiring problem.

It will probably go into "limp-home" mode first. That might restrict you to second and fourth gears, for instance.

Keep a log of conditions when failure occurs. Is the transmission cold? Hot? Is the weather wet? Dry? Does the code set when upshifting? When downshifting? When accellerating? When decelerating? What other work has been done on the car recently? That information may provide some clues.

Reply to
Charles

" snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

Why did you post this identical message independently to at least three newsgroups? Each group now has no idea what has been posted in reply in the other groups. That's not smart.

"Honda" is not wrong, the *dealer* is wrong. The dealer is not Honda.

There is a TSB out on exactly your problem. The fix involves replacing the linear solenoid, plus replacing the ATF with the correct Honda Z1.

Ask your dealer about TSB 00-012. Not all Civics are affected, just the ones in a certain VIN range.

Reply to
Tegger