bad transmission on my 1998 Honda with only 7,900 miles. Anyone has the same problem?

I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX automaitc 4 door with 79,000 miles. Two weeks ago, a noticeable jerk occurred when it shifted from a low gear to a higher gear. I always drive on D4 shift. Then, few days later, whenever I stopped and then stepped on the accelerator, the car stalled for a second and then shoot out. After all, I paid for a new transmission at a Honda dealer.

Next time, I won't buy a Honda anymore. If you are thinking for buying a Honda, please think again.

Reply to
you

So, no diagnosis or testing, you just felt it shoot into gear too suddenly after a rolling stop (or whatever -> you don't describe much) and you blew cash on a new tranny? Dude, don't be so fickle about Hondas just because you chose to buy a new one part on your own initiative.

Next time work with your garage/dealer to get to the root of the cause (a lot of stuff is vacuum operated on Hondas and you'll be amazed at the symptoms you'll see that are vacuum related).

Anyway, go ahead and buy an American car if you feel they'll be more reliable.

Reply to
radar

Radar "fickle" very well said.

It's not that Honda has problems or something, it sounds like it was something else that needed to be replaced, what? I am not quite sure. Go figure?

But, don't think Honda is shit because your car broke down. It's the same way with any car brand you buy. I used to have a Infiniti Q45, and wasted over $12,000 USD into that P.O.S., and now learned my lesson. My $1,900 honda lasted me more than a car that used to retail for $55,000 USD

Now you tell me what is up with that?

I strongly believe car manufacturers have the ablity to make cars last

40, 50, 60, or even longer amounts of years. But, you know what? they are not in the business to make a car last for 500 years, because if they did they would be out of business. They make cars to last 5 years, and this is why I don't like newer cars.

If you want my personal option, because option is what it is. I much rather have a older car business in the end it will last a lot longer than a newer car will. You will always see Classics, but will you see a

2005 Ford F150 in the year 2050? You wont!

But, you may see a 1991 CRX in 2050!

You decide!

Reply to
mopa

Dude, why can you not understand his problem? His description is very clear that the dealer diagnosed a bad transmission.

Sometimes, when you need a car to make a living, you just don't have time to search a cheaper place for a part.

Finally, you make the right point. American cars are now more reliable as I have been driving all my life.

Reply to
test

American trucks yes, American cars, hell no.

I would love to see your 2005 Ford Focus last to 300,000 miles.

No offense to my fellow americans, but our cars are not made like they used to be. They are always made of cheap plastic, and they fall apart. Come on now, if you drove say a car from the 1970's or even the 1980s and smashed into a 2000 model anything, you would completely smash the new car, and you may put a dent in the old car.

Old cars are designed like tanks. The only bad thing is they suck to much gas.

Reply to
mopa

read his description. He did not say the dealer diagnosed his transmission as bad, he just talked about a a jerking once, and a sudden accelleration 1 time. Then he paid for a transmission

Honda tranny warranties were extended to 7 years which means his 1998 would be covered if there was a defect, and if they had been give the opportunity to do a full diagnosis (not he did not say that they did) and found a fault they would have replaced it free. Dealerships will also let you order them around and install whatever you want if you're going to pay money -> sounds like that's what happened.

Reply to
radar

A Honda with automatic transmission problems. Why am I not surprised ????

Reply to
John Horner

Thank you for all your support. I did check with other places for the cost of a transmission. Due to timing and distance, I let Honda dealer to fix my car. I also checked the web site of Honda. They do not extend the warranty on the 1998 model.

Reply to
youremail

The transmission went out on our 99 V6 accord with 71,000 miles on it. I called Honda and they replaced the transmission with a remanufactured unit. We had to pay $400 for the labor. But that is better than the $4,000 the dealer wanted! Call Honda and see if they will do anything for you. They will ask if you have your service records. We had all services performed at the dealer so they had proof that we had changed the transmission fluid. It doesn't hurt to try!

Reply to
bbtaco

A couple of thoughts to consider. First, no one accidently put non-honda transmission fluid in the car, right. Second, you might want to buy an extended warranty on any car you purchase in the future and keep good records of maintenance and fluid changes. I know of several cases where domestic manufactures have refused to make warranty repairs because of lack of maintenance documentation. I too feel Honda should help you out if you had the required maintenance performed and can prove it.

Reply to
duckbill