Battery Q

97 CRV 130000...what would be the best brand of battery for this vehicle in terms of price and quality?
Reply to
thebigguy

Your mileage may vary, but I usually go to one of the discount stores or farm supply places and buy the BEST battery they sell. No because it's likely to be all that much better, but because the warranty generally is NOT pro-rated until it hits 60 months. This has been especially practical for one car we have that sits a lot over the winter. It will run itself flat and that's a battery killer. My bad but the battery has been replaced two times under warranty and it hasn't cost me anything but my time.

Reply to
Dddudley

If you have an AC outlet available, a battery tender Jr. goes for $30 on Ebay. How much is your time worth...?

Reply to
Leftie

Too soon old, too late smart

I use a battery tender on the Corvette. I tend to get lazy and don't swap it out to the other car all that often. That car remains outside and not in close proximity to the AC.

That's why I stated, "My bad"

Reply to
Dddudley

I understand - I killed a couple of batteries before getting the Tender. If the car is outside you may be able to find a solar charger that actually works, and add an always-on accessory outlet for that.

Reply to
Leftie

This is all very interesting, but the guy what asking what battery to buy. I think the original advice was sound - go for the one with the longest non=pro-rated free exchange guarantee. This is also the recommendation given by Consumer Reports in their battery tests.

I have used this feature more than once when relatively new batteries have suddenly simply died, which seems to be the way with current batteries, whether neglected or not.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Ditto that. I seem to have had more battery problems in the last 5 years than I did in the previous 10 or even 15 years, and I don't think it is just coincidence.

I remember when I could buy a Duralast battery and have no worries for years. Not anymore.

The ability to run it up to Autozone for a replacement is the most valuable aspect to me. My other car has a tiny battery mounted in the trunk with vent hoses, and it is even more of a PITA to deal with than normal.

Reply to
pws

All good info...will go for the longest warranty product. Incidentally, I asked because my current battery is 8 yrs old, never had any trouble with it, but it cant last forever...I can't tell the brand due to the casing around the battery, but will post when I find out what it is...if it is still manufactured I'll get that one again for sure!

Reply to
thebigguy

thebigguy, wrote the following at or about 4/27/2010 3:40 PM:

Brand, schmand Don't know that it makes a helluva lot of difference.

Last "long lifer" we had came out of my wife's 2003 Chrysler T&C. Manufactured in late 2002. Put a new battery in it about this time last year, just before we sold it. Simply crapped out one fine April day. Yep! OEM Mopar battery been in it since rolling off the line.

You just never know.

Reply to
DDDudley

thebigguy wrote in news:30cf6634-9b1e-4347-be0b- snipped-for-privacy@j21g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Eveready from Walmart, or Interstate.

Battery life is determined primarily by the care the battery receives during its lifetime. Most batteries die early from misuse and mishandling, not poor quality.

Unless you live in Arizona or other very hot place, a battery should last a MINIMUM of eight years.

Reply to
Tegger

You are so right there. The vast majority of car batteries (at least lead-acid batteries) are produced by one of three companies: 1) Johnson Controls; 2) Delco; or 3) Exide. For example, the top line of Sears Diehard batteries are made by Johnson Controls and the less expensive were made by Exide. I have heard, lately, that all of the Diehards are now built by JC...Interstate batteries are built by JC also. Each retailer, like Sears, Wal-mart, NAPA, etc; contract with the mfgr to build their batteries. The retailer sets the parameters for their batteries and the mfgr builds to those specs. So basically - you get what you pay for. The "non-prorated" warranty would be a big factor in my consideration. Hope this helps....

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

I dont do anything to it...just check the connection tightness every once and a while...checked the load condition a few years ago...done a few jumps with it and still goin good...will probably get the walmart battery when this one finally craps out! Thanks!

Reply to
thebigguy

thebigguy wrote in news:f4ebc21e-562f-4c55-a569- snipped-for-privacy@z11g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:

People let the battery run low or flat, and they break the case/post seals, which causes that green corrosion.

That's what I meant by "mishandling".

Reply to
Tegger

Really? The original battery in my '03 Accord sedan, I4/5AT, lasted 4 years and 3 months. Didn't abuse it that I'm aware of & it gave no warning. Just one day in Sept. the car wouldn't start, so I called road service. The guy jumped it (started right up) and advised me to get it tested at a battery place (which showed problems, the details of which I can't recall just now, so I had it replaced on the spot).

IIRC I've read that "normal" battery life around here (NE NJ) is about 4 years, so I figured I'd gotten my money out of it. My girlfriend at the time needed to replace the 4 year old battery in her Jeep a month or so earlier.

Reply to
Tony Harding

Thanks, Tegger, I was wondering about this.

Reply to
Tony Harding

Also have the same car and the batteries in Texas usually good for just 3 years (they bake down here in summer). Matter of fact, I was going to replace mine this coming fall but my mechanic did a brake job on it recently and told me the battery was weak so he replaced it with an Interstate battery. I hadn't noticed any problem with the battery but I know it was around 3 or more years old so I believed him.

Reply to
Observer

Methinks that battery quality has gone down in the last few years.

I generally got six to eight years out of the "gold" Autozone batteries in the past but evidently no longer. The gold battery in my '83 Civic FE went belly up about six months after the free three year replacement period and that car has not been used on a full basis since it was put back on the road in 2006.

Of course, last summer was what, the third hottest in Austin.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Tony Harding wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

That's completely untrue. Eight years would be a minimum for you.

Reply to
Tegger

"Observer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heat is a battery-killer that owners can't ameliorate. That's what I meant by "Phoenix or other very hot place".

Reply to
Tegger

6 to 8 is about right.......My Accord OEM lasted 7....just replaced it about 2 months ago before it died. I could tell it was going to give out by the way it cranked, especially if it sat for more than a couple of days.
Reply to
Stewart