Best Home Service Manual?

As noted else where, I'm buying a '96 Civic EX sedan. What's the best service manual for it, and the best place to find it?

mjc13<REMOVETHIS> wrote:

======================== Best is at www.helminc.com
Fairly decent is Chilton's at the store. I'd suggest Canadian tire, or similar. Some Honda dealers sell them, but at a premium.
'Curly'
motsco_ wrote:

Couldn't find one there. I'll look for a Chilton. I know the Volvo folks prefer Chilton, and my experince with Haynes goes like this: I want to read how to remove an instrument cluster, so I check, and Haynes says 'Remove instrument cluster,'
mjc13<REMOVETHIS> wrote:

it's there. follow the "click here" instructions.

jim beam wrote:

I appreciate the thought, but it isn't. Woody posted a link to the '96 Civic. They changed after '95.

mjc13<REMOVETHIS> wrote:

but you said "I'm buying a '96 Civic EX sedan." the service manual for that is definitely listed. as is the 95. and anything else honda.

jim beam wrote:

Damn! That was a typo - it is a '95. Sorry, folks. I couldn't find the '95 manual on the site, though.

mjc13<REMOVETHIS> wrote:

it's definitely there. drill down to owner & service info.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?class%5F2=AHM&mk=Honda&yr 96&md=Civic&dt=&module=&from=result&Style=&SkuaSO300&itemtype=N&mscsid=4TGA4E751EKM9JGVEHNMHXLER23HE0G9

Stay away from Chiltons unless you want to change the oil and service washer fluid. The book is cheap and you will get what you pay for. My 92 civic owner manual had a coupon (the internet has evolved since then) for the factory manual from Helm Inc. www.helminc.com . I bought the manual the week I bought the car. I knew only a little about working on cars when I bought the car new and this week I am changing my ball joints. I have done my timing belt, several CV axles, water pump, troubleshot the PGM-FI relay, replaced the distributor and troubleshot down to the igition coil and more with this book. The overhaul procedures/specs for the whole car are in here.