Best replacement battery brands for older Accords

My battery was replaced last time over 6 years ago and cranking started to take longer now, so I want to replace it ASAP. The current battery is an Interstate MT-24F model which, according to the Interstate website, provides 600 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA.) I also looked into my Owners Manual and there the battery spec says: 55 AH / 5 HR. Nothing about CCA. So I wonder how I could reconcile such different specs and get the right battery capacity matching the alternator's charging capacity. Is Honda just trying to force us to buy even such staple items, like batteries from them, even though Honda itself probably also buys them from companies, such as Interstate and puts its own label on them?

Which replacement battery brand you guys favor for your cars? Mine is a '94 Accord LX.

Reply to
cameo

cameo wrote on 10/26/2014 :

You got 6 years out of the last one, why not replace it with the same?

Reply to
Seth

I might if it's still available. But I still want to know if it's right match for the alternator. Just because it has worked so far, does not mean it will not ruin it soon.

Reply to
cameo

12V is the right match for the alternator. As long as it has enough power to crank the starter and physically fits in the battery tray (an under the hold-down) it's fine.
Reply to
Seth

There is more to that than just matching voltage. Larger capacity batteries may need more Amps to charge than lower ones. That's why alternators are matched with the batteries. Not on voltage, which is 12 V these days in all gasoline powered cars anyway. In any case, I had the battery swapped today with the same brand and model as I could not risk driving with the old one anymore. I was surprised how much its price increased over the last 6 years: almost doubled. And this was supposed to be a low inflation period, according to government inflation index.

Reply to
cameo

I'm no expert, but I'd guess that's just to make sure the larger battery could be fully charged, to support larger loads, in a given amount of time. It's not really a property that large batteries need more amps or they won't charge fully or at all, not afaik.

Hah.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

In my limited experience, a Honda dealer sold me a Honda battery at a slightly lower installed cost than other quotes I got. Might be worth a call.

Reply to
Dave

That would surprise me.

Reply to
cameo

One large dealership around here is advertising $109.98. Three years ago I got one put in my accord at that place (at the time the advertised special was 79.99). Quick, easy, no hassle.

Reply to
Al

My local dealer installed a fresh-dated Honda-label battery for $69-- and ran the car through the wash rack before turning it back to me...

Reply to
Aldo Raine

Just google car battery reviews, you'll probably get a million hits. Find the brand that you think has the best reviews and just get the right type specified for your vehicle.

Reply to
Stewart

I've alredy got the same Interstate brand, but a slightly larger capacity.

Reply to
cameo

Interstate is certainly a good brand. Hope it lasts you forever (not likely, but what the heck!).

Reply to
Stewart

The charging current is self-limiting by design/function of the alternator.

In reality alternators are rarely required to charge from zero. If/when they are a full charge simply takes longer. Perhaps I should mention that despite the full current rating most auto alternators are not designed/intended to deliver full rated current at a 100% load.

More import is to have the alternator rated for the load the vehicle electrical system requirements plus a bit left over to top off the battery.

Reply to
NotMe