Better engine

My daughter is thinking about buying a Honda Accord. Which is the better engine for the car the 4 or the 6. We live in Houston so getting anywhere takes some miles. Is the 4 enough when you factor in gas milage.

Thanks

LMA

Reply to
Lawrence Adler

The 4 cylinder engine is excellent and will be fine for most any kind of driving. That said, and having had experience with both, I opted for the V6 only because it has noticeably better acceleration because of its substantially greater horsepower and torque. On the other hand, if I was mainly interested in better mileage the 4 cylinder would be my choice. You won't go wrong with either engine.

Ken

Lawrence Adler wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

LMA, I own a 4 cyld. Accord and love it. It has much more power than a Civic. It has all the power that your daughter would ever need. It also gets better gas mileage than the 6 cyld. Accord. Jason

Reply to
Jason

Dunno how relevant it is given the age difference, but my '87 Accord with carbureted 2.0 liter 4 and 385,000km (240,000 miles) on a 5-speed still hauls ass (for a carb'd 2-liter 4) and gets a solid 500km from a

50l tank (about 28mpg). It keeps up pretty well with my wife's '96 Grand Voyager minivan - the difference with the Plymouth's 3.8l V6 is offset nicely by the weight difference, while the van takes a 75l tank to get about the same 500km :)
Reply to
Matt Ion

depends how you feel about ultimate mileage and economy. 6's i've seen in junk yards never have the mileage of the 4's.

imo, the only difference in drivability between the 4 & the 6 is that the 6 picks up quicker at lower revs. if you know how to drive the 4, i.e. you drop down 1 or 2 gears so the rpm's are above 4k before you put your foot down, it'll show you plenty of power.

Reply to
jim beam

I'd be surprised if you found either 4s or 6s at the junk yard unless the car was wrecked and written off.... Up here in Winnipeg, none of the wrecked hondas last long at all in the junk yards. We're talking a couple hours, unless all your after is a radio antenna or other unimportant parts. lol And they cut whole sections of frame off to fix other cars that are wrecked too. You really gotta be careful what you are buying when it comes to hondas up here. I was at a shop the other day that was fixing an 03 civic, they welded the entire rear end of another car on to it.

jim beam wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com