Black Box

Page 2 of 2

I don't think so, because violations of the 55 mph limit were a revenue source. The more it was violated (as long as the citations were written, to collect the fines and satisfy the feds enforcement was taking place) the more the states profited and the greater the incentive to continue the program. Political pressure to repeal the limit threatened the future of too many politicians, apart from whether the law was actually obeyed.
Mike

That is -where- the political pressure came from;all the people who got ticketed.It sure didn't come from all the blindly obedient drones.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

By using the term 'blindly obedient drones'. Are you referring to the drivers that prefer to keep their money in their pockets (instead of funding the annual policeman's ball) and continue to drive where they want and need to go every day of the year?
Brian

Disobedience and disapproval are not synonymous; I disagree with our tax structure but I pay my taxes. I was a "blindly obedient drone" because I didn't speed, and nobody asked me my opinion. But you can bet the speeders who were ticketed only "fed the beast" by making it economically attractive to retain the limit.
You suggest by the term "all" that the majority obeyed the limit, but that undercuts your premise. Effective political pressure requires a clear majority (otherwise re-election would not be an issue), so if obedience were the measure rather than public opinion we would still be driving 55.
Mike
Brian Smith wrote:

I have no problems with it for commercial drivers. You are doing a job and these are essentially business records which reduce the liability of the business. However, for personal transportation use, I believe that this type of monitoring (or more importantly in the long run how the data is used) is unreasonable. Yes, I drive an older car from before OBD3 which, if I remember correctly, was the first to have the flight data recorder functionality and I'll also keep my car running for as long as possible.
Eric
Guys - I started this dialog to see if anyone was aware of any website that would tell you if the car had a black box. I don't want a box in my car and I don't care to debate it here and justify. Same reason I don't want the grocery store keeping a log of what I buy or the cable company what I watch. Why do we need all this info unless we were being paid for it. Do your own searches, black box have caused a lot of heart burn for people in wrecks.
So if anyone has any more info please post it ;-)

RA wrote:

the only way is to go for an old car with obdc0 or carburetion. most everything else keeps a record of anywhere between the last few seconds to some minutes of data.
go to a nerd site like slashdot.org and search for some [informative] techy threads on this.

RA wrote:

If I remember correctly, it's anything '96 and newer however you may need to check individual makes and models.
Eric
How? I looked on the Honda ownerlink website and couldn't find anything.
--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA