blown cylinder?, or easier fix?

i have a 91 accord with 230K..i recently pulled up to a toll booth, and the car sounded like it was missing...a knowledgeable friend gave it a spark test, and guessed that the car had blown a cylinder...ive
been running it locally, and its been getting me around...it idles very rough, but when i get it over 20mph, it seems to smoothe out and runs fine...any thoughts on this problem...is it cylinder, or an easier fix...thanx for any suggestions...
minique wrote:

blown cylinder???
before jumping to such expensive conclusions, get a little data on your side:
1. check the ecu for codes. 2. eliminate problems: make sure all the plugs are screwed in correctly, that the rest of the ignition componentry works ok, etc. 3. if 1 & 2 doesn't lead you to a fix, and it likely will, do a compression test.
report back with results.

As jim says - a failed cylinder is not the first thing we think of. If the temperature is steady I wouldn't even put cylinders in the first bunch of suspects.
If the power seems normal above 20 mph, add a check for vacuum leaks (particularly cracked hoses to the intake manifold) to jim's list.
Mike

bad injector?
"z" wrote:

hi...this is minique once again...will have compression test done tomorrow...mechanic said it could be bad valve,worst case scenario, which would require valve and gasket job, taking it over 500 possibly...he said it probably would not be worth it, due to high mileage. a month down the road it could happen to another valve...u never know....best case scenario, a bad rocker arm, which he could fix for around 100....stay tuned for the climactic ending of this saga...and thanx for the feedback

archive:http://www.AutoBoardz.com/blown-cylinder-easier-fix-ftopict206871.html - Hide quoted text -

A bad valve would be bbad all the time. Look at the earlier suggesteds possibilities. I had a VW Golf with a blown valvew, beleieve me it does not get better with speed.

Good point - that would be unusual.
Thom wrote:

archive:http://www.AutoBoardz.com/blown-cylinder-easier-fix-ftopict206871.html - Hide quoted text -

Yeah, anything that would be considered a "blown cylinder" wouldn't clear up with speed. I'll third the recommendation of a compression test and searching for vacuum leaks.
Oh, and most importantly, get a second opinion from another mechanic - this one sounds like he's looking for ways to uninstall your wallet.
Matt Ion wrote:

burnt valves do "clear up with speed", or while the burn is still small at any rate. but there's no sudden onset. i think the o.p. simply had a plug unscrew itself - it's sudden, sounds dramatic, and because there's no compression, the car still runs at speed without to much drama, albeit with reduced power.
the way u are describing it do a compretion test i just replaced a exaust valve on my 90 honda accord 2.2 it was burnt it still ran on 3cyl. at a idle it ran bad it shook the car it would still go on the highway up to speed and it ran ok but as soon as it idled it ran bad if i remember wright the valve cost $18 and the gasket kit cost $130 and i did the work my self what a pain in the butt it was. if they want to charge u more than $350 to fix your cylinder head get a rebuilt one at advanced auto $361.99
yep...thats what it was...hoping it was just a rocker arm, but cylinder #1 had 0 compression, and no visible ticking sound.....also , had a little oil on the plugs...thanx for the advice, but i dont think i could handle the valve job myself...anyone wanting a parts car, let me know...will use it to get around locally for a while until i can find another vehicle
"minique" wrote: > i have a 91 accord with 230K..i recently pulled up to a toll > booth, and the car sounded like it was missing...a > knowledgeable friend gave it a spark test, and guessed that > the car had blown a cylinder...i've been running it locally, > and it's been getting me around...it idles very rough, but > when i get it over 20mph, it seems to smoothe out and runs > fine...any thoughts on this problem...is it cylinder, or an > easier fix...thanx for any suggestions...