Born suckers

Page 1 of 3
As free traders are we being taken for suckers, with the US and Canadian government acquiescing with countries actively acting in bad faith and trading unfairly.
This is from a newspaper article ( http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id e471d3-8ddb-449c-95d4-50eb643037a5&k!038 )
Here is the take away from this article...
"Hargrove said four million vehicles were shipped into North America last year, many from countries that don't allow foreign cars to be sold in their markets.
He took special aim at Japan for tariff and other barriers.
"One story is that if you buy an import, right away your income tax is audited," Hargrove said, adding that inspection processes are another way foreign vehicles are kept out of Japan."
It is bad enough that the US guarantees their security at great cost while they build and ship cars from their countries (Japan, Korea specifically) while undermining the North American economy by blocking access to their markets.
Where does fair trade become part of the purchasing decision?
IF American car companies made the best cars and trucks on the market, the foreign car companies wouldn't be so popular in North America.
Really simple....

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id e471d3-8ddb-449c-95d4-50eb643037a5&k!038
If the "American" companies offered what I wanted, without raping me in the wallet, I would have bought one of those. As it was, the *ONLY* truck that had what I needed was my Tundra..... and it was made in the USA.

Noon-Air wrote:

that's the irony of the op's dumb-ass trolling. japanese companies manufacture quality vehicles here, using locally sourced components. domestics manufacture crap, in mexico and wherever, and use chinese components. and they over-charge. and they cut corners on dangerous stuff like red rear turn signals. then they whine about losing market share! must be run by sociopaths.

"must be run by sociopaths."....jim beam
most likely run by bankers and the UAW instead of auto companies.................kjun
jim beam wrote:

Let's hear it for the greed, of the manufactures, and labor unions...
--
Tom - Vista, CA

The components they buy are from the same parts companies. Magna is one of the larger parts companies. Magna is Canadian, but produces parts around the world. American parts company Delphi (ex of GM) gets most of their parts outside the USA. My '95 Chrysler had an original ignition switch used by at least 3 companies, based on the 3 parts numbers on it. One non Chrysler # was that of a popular German car company. Most make or buy parts made in Mexico. My '80 Chrysler had Mexican wheels. My '01 Sebring had a blower resistor made in Mexico and I believe it's 2.7L engine is from Mexico. Lastly some Japanese companies also manufacture in Mexico.
It's all about manufacturing the vehicles people want. Major manufacturer quality and prices, regardless of their stripe, is now very similar.

Actually its about manufacturing vehicles with all the bells and whistles that people don't need, to force higher prices and margins. I challange you to go to any new car lot and try to find a *BASIC* transportation car, or truck or van. You won't find one, they are not being made or kept on the lot. Why should they when the models that have the "luxury" packages on them command a much higher prices and profits. When I bought my Tundra, it was the only truck that had the cloth seats I needed without having to spend an extra $10,000 for a luxury package*JUST* for the cloth seats, and also lose the engine/transmission that I needed.

Maybe for the "big 3"
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 07:43:55 -0500, Noon-Air wrote:

I agree. My favorite cars were Corollas from the 70's and 80's, with very few creature comforts. My Scion has a lot of bells and whistles, but has that minimal feel nonetheless.
My Supra is a powerful car, but think how much more powerful it would be without all the weight the bells and whistles added to it!

Todays cars are much heavier than in the past. Things like increased body stiffness, 6 spd transmissions, huge tires and multi valve engines add a lot of weight.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:35:15 +0000, Some O wrote:

The Supra is an '88, but has the Sport Roof! Weighs in at an impressive 4400 lbs!!! No pushing this thing if it breaks down!
Wrongggggg. . Check the frame (if it has one) for the thickness of the steel. How much plastique did you see in older cars? Christ they even had metal dashboards. And let's talk about new vehicle's bumpers.... if they have one. New cars are much lighter than those from the 60's, 70's or even 80's.
wrote: : : > My Supra is a powerful car, but think how much more powerful it would be : > without all the weight the bells and whistles added to it! : Todays cars are much heavier than in the past. : Things like increased body stiffness, 6 spd transmissions, huge tires : and multi valve engines add a lot of weight.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:25:36 -0700, Fuller Rath wrote:

That is moslty mandated by Cafe standards rather than the market. But, losing weight means better economy...

Yes many want to buy all the bells and whistles, but not me. I don't want basic either, but certainly not the latest toys such as GPS, DVD player or even a sun roof. I just want a mid or slightly smaller sized station Wagon, similar to the Subaru Trooper in size. The big 2.5, Toyota and others don't make them anymore. VW and Volvo do, but UGH!
I just noticed that the new Ford Focus no longer comes in a SW style, which will be noticed here where the Focus SW has been a big seller.
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:15:49 -0500, Noon-Air wrote:

Pay careful attention to the next Tundra commercial you hear...
"...ASSEMBLED in America..."

I just looked at a Tundra on display - 80% American Parts Content. The last 20% is probably the EFI Computer, Radio, and such like. It would cost several hundred million to build an EFI Computer plant in the USA, some very expensive production machinery.
There are a lot of "American Cars" out there with 10% American content or less, made in Mexico at a Maquiladora plant. By that logic, the Tundra IS an American Truck.
--<< Bruce >>--
Really? Apparently American buyers think GM and Ford products are better that Toyota, they buy millions more of their vehicles from them than buyers that chose Toyotas LOL
mike

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:37:07 -0400, Mike Hunter wrote:

Tell you what, Mike. End of the year, go to a Toyota dealer and count the leftovers.
Then go to a Ford, GM, or Chrysler dealer and do the same.
Shoot...in 2005 when I was working for a Toyota/Licoln-Mercury/Chrysler dealer, we had PLENTY of 2004 Chryslers, a few 2004 Mercurys (we even had a 2001 Grand Marquis!) a *bunch* of Lincoln LS's (which I thought was a nice car...) and a handful of Jeeps.
Do I need to tell you how many Toyotas were left over?

He said foreign car companies, not specifically Toyota. As it is, Toyota is about to overtake GM on their own turf and Ford is spiraling down the drain with record losses.
I know a person who bought a new Corvette and kept it exactly one year. It made numerous trips to the dealership for repairs, which were covered under warranty, but kept the car in the shop for a full month out of the 12 that he owned it. This is GM's flagship sport scar, and they can't even get that right.
Really, name just one car, (not truck), from the top 3 U.S. auto makers that doesn't have a similar but much better foreign offering.
Pat
Mike Hunter wrote:

I'll give you 2 Mustang GT Ford GT