Both headlights out at same time

I have a 2001 Honda Civic and both the headlights have gone out. I checked the fuses under the hood (there is one for each) and they look good. I replaced one of the bulbs... nothing. Everything else in the
electrical system seems to be working ok.
Does anyone have any idea what to check next?
Thanks

Headlight relay?

Where is the headlight relay? I only have the owner's manual and it doesn't seem to say.

Not sure-- you'll need someone above my pay grade.. Some cars have them in the underhood fuse box, or it maybe integrated into the h/l switch. Also, the switch itself may be the culprit.

don't know about new models, but my 1992 civic doesn't have a headlight relay. (i put one in, along with decently large gauge wiring. significant improvement, highly recommended. thanks to stern lighting for advice).
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, On Japanese cars, if one side burns out and fuse goes both will go out. Check fuses with meter(visual check is no good) and check both side bulbs with meter.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

If one of the individual lamp fuses blows, the other side is **NOT** affected, so that's not your problem.
Do the headlamps work if you pull the headlamp switch stalk towards yourself? (Flashes high beams.) What about if you turn the the stalk to the high-beam setting?
Don't ignore the obvious here: the possibility that both of your low-beam filaments have failed at the same time. Buy a new bulb (even a cheap one), swap it in and see if it works.
You actually have a third, 100A fuse, under the hood. This protects both sides of the headlamp circuit. See if that's blown. You'll need a test lamp or multimeter to check that one.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Yes, unlikely as it sems; that happened to me. and i'm the kind of guy who checks the reflection in the back of the car in front of me at night to make sure they're both working, so it's not like one burned out and the other one a month later.