Brake caliper rubbing

I have a 1990 honda civic sedan, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder 1.5 liter engine, automatic transmission and when I am going forward and I apply the brake the
driver side brake caliper will start rubbing on the wheel. This does not happen when I am backing up, only when going forward. I have replaced the brake pads but this did not solve the problem. I have chenged the wheel with other wheels and the problem persists. I wonder if anyone has had this problem and if their is a available slution for this.
Thanks.
On 05/15/2011 06:42 PM, Virgil2U wrote:

automatic transmission and when I am going forward and I apply the brake the driver side brake caliper will start rubbing on the wheel. This does not happen when I am backing up, only when going forward. I have replaced the brake pads but this did not solve the problem. I have chenged the wheel with other wheels and the problem persists. I wonder if anyone has had this problem and if their is a available slution for this.

is the caliper actually rubbing on the wheel so it's leaving marks inside the rim? or is the caliper rubbing on the disk so it's just making noise?
if the latter, there is an issue you need to know - the disks on the 88/89 civics are slightly thinner face to face than the 90/91's. their calipers are accordingly different sized to fit. but it's common for remanufactured 88 & 89 calipers to be retrofitted to 90 & 91's. so, while the thicker 90/91 disk will just squeeze into the 88/89 slot, it rubs a little, especially going around corners. if you have some toe issues as well, this could be why you're getting it in one direction, not the other.
honda no longer sell the skinnier disks - they'll sell you the thicker one and expect you to either swap out the calipers or skim the disk down so it fits with sufficient clearance.
i advise you to stop driving and fix the problem asap. it's not particularly dangerous, bit the noise you're hearing is the anti-rattle clips being chewed. if they're too damaged, they're ridiculously expensive to replace considering they're little bits of bent tin. but you need them, so you have no choice about replacing them.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum