Brake Fluid Flushing

Page 1 of 2
I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan. The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every three years... What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?

--
tb

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:45:11 +0000 (UTC), "tb"

Necessary, not so much.
A good idea, I suppose so. Especially every six years!?
Especially if the way you drive your Civic you do a lot of 100-0 stops that boil the brakes. :)
J.
"tb" wrote

As has been asked many times on this newsgroup: "What does your car's manual say?" The manual is, in effect, the authority.
Flushing, at times, can cause more of a problem then leaving things alone. Drain and replace may be be a better path to follow. MLD

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:45:11 +0000 (UTC), "tb"

Brake fluid is hydroscpoic; that is, it absorbs moisture. Moisture "may" cause rust in your brake system.
My 2012 Honda Pilot manual specifies 3 year fluid replacements as well. It's a simple job to do so I will comply. That said, my 2002 Toyota Sienna has never had the fluid changed.
Some folks advise to use a fresh unopened can of fluid when doing the job. An open can that has been sitting around will have picked up moisture.
I don't really know what a brake flush is but my manual uses the term "flush" in a specific instance: Quote "Using any non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and decrease the life of the system. Have the brake system flushed and refilled with Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3 as soon as possible" end quote. Good luck with that Honda.
Gary
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:24:36 -0800, G Mulcaster

Hygroscopic

I know the manual says different, but I've always figured having it done when it was time for a brake job or other brake service (e.g. master cylinder replacement) was often enough.

Yes.

Are you asking 1) in order to make sure the dealer isn't taking you for a ride, or 2) because you don't want to spend the money?
--
Tegger

3) because he can't read the owner's manual? 4) because he won't read the owner's manual?
On 1/28/2014 at 8:13:13 PM Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Because I wanted to hear somebody else's opinion?
--
tb

My opinion will depend on whether your answer is 1) or 2).
--
Tegger

On 1/29/2014 at 5:59:51 PM Tegger wrote:

3) because I am not mechanically inclined.
--
tb

.

I think you don't want to spend the money unless you need to, and are afraid the dealer is trying to take you for a ride.
Honda specifies a brake-fluid change every 3 years. It is a very good idea to adhere to Honda's schedule. The schedule is in the Owner's Manual, which you probably no longer have.
The dealer is NOT "Honda". When I say "Honda" I mean the company that designed and built the car. The company that sells and services the car has no connection to Honda other than having bought a license to fly their flag.
Get it done. By the dealer.
--
Tegger

On 01/29/2014 07:20 PM, Tegger wrote:

Why "by the dealer"? Is this brake fluid flushing thing so complicated that no ordinary mechanic can do it properly?
--
tb

tb wrote:

it has little to do with the complexity of the operation, it's about the equipment available, and not making things worse by ASSUMING every car is like a 1972 Ford truck, (or whatever), and doing it how "grandpa showed me" instead of knowing the correct procedure for your car.
GW

So get an ordinary mechanic to do it.
--
Tegger

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tegger wrote:

Honda dealerships are expensive. When they sell them Honda representatives can say "Look, we tell the buyers to get the brake fluid changed every three years as well as throw in a bunch of other earners... Yeah, I know, but it'll be a regular income for you on top of the retail margin and you'll re-coup the cost of buying the franchise that much more quickly."
--
</Shaun>

Compared to what? Compared to independent shops? Compared to not doing the required maintenance?
On 3/12/14, 6:44 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

I think you missed his point. The post referred to buying a dealership from Honda corporate and what they tell prospective dealers they'll do to increase cash flow.
--
I was the Project Manager when BS was invented. I wanted to also be the
Test Pilot, but that required a Certified Politician.

*Without* knowing what the owner's manual says?
"My doctor says my cholesterol is high and that I need to cut way down on red meat and animal fat in general. Do I really have to? Does anyone have an opinion?"