Brake Fluid for Cleaning Bolts?

Any reason not to soak old bolts in used brake fluid, wipe them with a rag, apply, say, anti-seize, then re-install?

My concern would be the water absorbing properties of brake fluid. But if others routinely do this, then I won't be concerned.

TIA

Reply to
Elle

The biggest reason is WHY. Brake fluid is not particularly good for this anyway. You could use a regular degreaser or kerosene. I'd just spray them with Liquid Wrench or something similar. People have used all sorts of things including vinegar, but I prefer regular old petroleum distilates.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"Al Bundy" wrote

Because (1) it's darn effective at removing, for example, paint; and (2) presumably it has some lubricating properties; (3) beats just throwing out old brake fluid.

Reply to
Elle

I'm not sure why you'd want to do this; brake fluid also eats paint which is not a concern on bolts, but can be a concern if the parts the bolts connect are painted. Also there are better parts cleaning solutions available, kerosene works well and is cheap although it is more easily flammable so more care should be taken.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Actually, it is not very good at removing paint...at least, not most paint. It might damage auto finishes, but without a little caustic added to it, it isn't a powerful paint remover.

It slicks up bolts, but - as mentioned earlier - picks up water and could promote rusting, I guess.

Reply to
<HLS

Bad idea if you ask me. If you want to soak them in something, use old motor oil. Personally, if the bolt is that far gone, I replace it. I always use Anti-Seize on most of my bolts.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Don't even bother. He wants to use brake fluid and that's what he will use. He only wanted us to tell him how great it would be. He knows everything and simply wants validation.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Brake fluid acts as a great penetrating fluid in a pinch. I have had to take some out and trickle into a rim's holes to get the rim to come free from the hub. Driving on it with loose lug nuts and using the back end of a log splitter maul didn't budge it but a soak in brake fluid let it pop loose.

It seems to eat rust, never thought of using old fluid on my old rusty nut and bolt collection that got caught in a rainstorm. I think I might try it and see. I will post back about it.

Mike

Mike Romain

Er, "he" is a she...

JT

Al Bundy wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I won't be using brake fluid if no one else uses it, because of concerns about the water absorption. I really don't know.

Congratulations, anyway.

"Al Bundy" wrote

Reply to
Elle

"Mike Romain" wrote

Lots of folks report similar stories to yours, but no one talks about routinely using it to clean old rusty bolts. So I'm hesitant, like maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe the stuff is so hard on the hands that people avoid it. Dunno. Just thought I'd ask, since I'm in the middle or a suspension renovation job and have come across some pretty beat up nuts and bolts (many of which I'm replacing).

Reply to
Elle

what's being missed is that it's a great rust promoter. put some bolts in a paper bag, saturate with brake fluid, then leave out in the garage a while. the only time it can be used in contact with ferrous metals is where it's sealed and moisture absorption is minimized. otherwise, it's a great way to return iron to its original ore.

Reply to
jim beam

I'm confused. Are you really looking for information or just looking for someone to justify what you have already decided to do. Someone gives you several well thought out reasons why it isn't a good idea and you respond with your own pre-conceived justifications.

If you want to use brake fluid as a cleaner then go ahead but it is a poor choice. Just don't ask for opinions if you don't want to hear them.

Reply to
John S.

Because?

This thread is beyond your reasoning abilities.

Reply to
Elle

Is there any other chemical that will remove paint from plastic without damaging the plastic? Brake fluid did a good job stripping the paint form my ABS/polycarbonate wheel covers.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

"Elle" wrote in news:eSaag.2718$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

You can buy a box of 100 nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight for less than $10;I notice some of the TV auto improvement shows use them. (Truck Universe,2 Guys Garage..@ Speed Channel)

Nitrile gloves are tougher than latex,and resist chemicals much better. I used them for replacing my brake master cylinder.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I found a good general purpose cleaner/preservative/lubricant is made with mineral spirits, 60% or so and straight 30w motor oil. Put all the stuff in a coffee can and let it soak a while, shaking it up now and then. The bolts come out clean and slightly lubricated. If you are going into an aluminum casting you should put the antisieze on them but if this is steel to steel this is lube enough.

Reply to
gfretwell

Depends on the plastic, and on the type of paint. Brake fluid is not normally a good paint remover for GOOD paint.

Acrylonitrile/Butadiene/Styrene is a pretty tough polymer. Used in athletic helmets and a number of other high impact applications. Although it is not impervious to solvents, it often tolerates them pretty well without softening.

Reply to
<HLS

I think you are misinterpreting the question. She is asking: "is this idea going to do something bad rather than the good I am hoping for?" and seeking the experience of others. I believe learning from the experience of others is a good thing and the main reason we are here - most of us, anyway.

For myself, I've never tried it and am curious how it works out. Since Elle doesn't know everything, and knows she doesn't know (thus the question) but has a good reputation here it has my interest.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Were they hard to bleed? (Sorry - couldn't stop myself!)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee