Brake Fluid for Cleaning Bolts?

berrymans chem-dip is much better. takes off *everything*

Reply to
SoCalMike

"Michael Pardee" wrote

Yes, that's precisely it.

Thanks. But on this one, I am not inclined to experiment. It just seemed like people would do it a lot, or they never do it. In which case I don't want to be the guinea pig. :-)

Reply to
Elle

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:h_udnQPxHYuf__fZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

They did make my hands sweat. ;-)

I had a hard time with one of the plastic "bench bleed" connectors;it would not thread into the MC. (nor the old MC)

Murphy's Law struck again.(it happens every time I work on my car)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The real question is why? What are you trying to do by soaking the bolts in brake fluid?

------------ Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

do you have paint on the bolts that you want to remove?

Regular motor oil is a better lubricant.

What were you planning on doing with the fluid after you soaked the bolts in it?

Makes no sense.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Time for my 0.02 ...

Yes, water absorption IS the problem, as this causes the normally inert fluid to become contaminated with acidic compounds. Leaving a residue of brake fluid will cause rust to start in double quick time as the acidic compounds expose raw iron to oxygen. If you doubt this, look what happens to, say, a cast iron clutch slave cylinder that leaks: it gets covered with a layer of rust.

Much better to replace a rusty bolt with a new one, and use an anti-sieze compound. If you must wipe bolts with something, use WD40 or engine oil.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS