Brake Fluid for Cleaning Bolts?

Page 2 of 2
Elle wrote:

what's being missed is that it's a great rust promoter. put some bolts in a paper bag, saturate with brake fluid, then leave out in the garage a while. the only time it can be used in contact with ferrous metals is where it's sealed and moisture absorption is minimized. otherwise, it's a great way to return iron to its original ore.
wrote

You can buy a box of 100 nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight for less than $10;I notice some of the TV auto improvement shows use them. (Truck Universe,2 Guys Garage..@ Speed Channel)
Nitrile gloves are tougher than latex,and resist chemicals much better. I used them for replacing my brake master cylinder.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Were they hard to bleed? (Sorry - couldn't stop myself!)
Mike

They did make my hands sweat. ;-)
I had a hard time with one of the plastic "bench bleed" connectors;it would not thread into the MC. (nor the old MC)
Murphy's Law struck again.(it happens every time I work on my car)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I found a good general purpose cleaner/preservative/lubricant is made with mineral spirits, 60% or so and straight 30w motor oil. Put all the stuff in a coffee can and let it soak a while, shaking it up now and then. The bolts come out clean and slightly lubricated. If you are going into an aluminum casting you should put the antisieze on them but if this is steel to steel this is lube enough.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.earthlink.net says...

The real question is why? What are you trying to do by soaking the bolts in brake fluid? ------------ Alex