brake light cushion for 97 civic

Is there a place online where UI can purchase the brake light switch cushion (rubber grommet) that goes on the brake pedal? Since the current rubber grommet disintegrated, I put a 7/16" bolt
with several washers in its place for now but am worried that will cause the brake light switch to fail. Also noticed that the clutch pedal has the same grommet and am wondering when it will disintegrate also?
Thanks, Lynn

I thought about trying various things from the hardware store and finally did what you did. It's in an '87 CRX and has been working for 5 years now. I just checked the switch plunger. Seems to be none the worse for it.

"rubber grommet"? My 94 Integra GS-R had a plastic button(for the brake pedal),and it cost $6 at the dealer.
I suppose you could use a nylon screw and nut,maybe with some Locktite to keep it from coming loose.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 7/23/2012 10:08 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

I thought it was rubber. I was hoping to avoid a dealer trip.
Lynn

It's some sort of fairly hard plastic that looks like it eventually hardened and fractured. The dealer here couldn't seem to find the part number for it, which I wouldn't have thought was that hard.

I stil have the work order for my Integra,even though the car was stolen in 2007. the part number for the plastic button is; 46505-SA5-000 pad,pedal stopper list price was $3.84
I hope that's of some help.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 7/23/2012 7:20 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

Sweet, I found it online at http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~pad~pedal~stopper~46505-SA5-000.html
Thanks, Lynn

glad to be of help to you! what did it cost?
Lucky I'm a packrat. :-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 7/24/2012 1:00 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

Bought at the Honda dealer yesterday for $3.00 each. The online guy wanted $12 for delivery.
Thanks Lynn
On 07/22/2012 10:25 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

alternatively, go to your friendly local junkyard and get one from there. ideally from one manufactured in japan, not here. last time i got one, the junkyard couldn't be bothered to charge me for it.
this is a relatively common failure on domestically produced hondas. in theory, the part is not highly loaded and should last indefinitely, but if its manufacturer doesn't take the materials used seriously, it'll have internal flaws that lead to exactly the kinds of failures seen.
--
fact check required

On 7/23/2012 9:07 PM, jim beam wrote:

Since this one failed at 15 years (we bought the car new), I would not put in a used part. http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~pad~pedal~stopper~46505-SA5-000.html Especially when the new part is only $1.64 plus shipping.
Thanks, Lynn
"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
<snip>

My '93 Civic HB had 2 pedal stopper pads on the clutch pedal one up high and one low. Those prevented the car from starting. The clutch pedal stopper pads both disintegrated almost 1 year after the brake's did.