Brake Pad Wear

Took my '07 6 cyl Accord sedan with 45,000 relaxed suburban/highway driving miles to local dealer for routine oil change/multi-point inspection. He said my front brake pads were OK-- but the rears were getting close to the sensor (3mm).

Isn't that a bit soon-- and don't front brakes usually wear out first?

Reply to
William Munny

3mm is not "getting close" on rear pads.

IME, GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Took my '07 6 cyl Accord sedan with 45,000 relaxed suburban/highway driving miles to local dealer for routine oil change/multi-point inspection. He said my front brake pads were OK-- but the rears were getting close to the sensor (3mm).

Isn't that a bit soon-- and don't front brakes usually wear out first?

-------- Reply: On my 06 Accord I4 coupe, the rears had to be replaced at 55k and the fronts at 75k. Apparently, this is "normal" for this model.

TWW

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491" wrote

wear out first?

On my 04 I4 EX sedan, the rears had to be replaced at around 30K. At 90K when I traded it in on a '13, the fronts had never needed replacement.

Reply to
Howard Lester

William Munny wrote in news:ko89ol$8i4$1 @news.albasani.net:

It's normal. The rear brakes supply so little braking effort that it's difficult to bring them up to temperature unless the pads are small and soft.

The pads start out at 7mm with the wear-sensor at about 2mm away from the backing, so you're down 4mm.from new. That's roughly 11,000 miles per mm, which should give you some idea when you need to start thinking about replacement. Best-case scenario sees you down to the steel about 33,000 miles from now.

Reply to
Tegger

For a couple of years Honda Accords had little tiny rear brakes that somehow managed to wear out really fast. '07 might have still been in that range. By 2010 they'd fixed it.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

My mechanic, when asked, advised that that USED to be the common wisdom, but that it applied to the old Front Disk, Rear Drum system. His explanation was that with the all wheel disks and the better metering systems in the brakes, they tend to wear more evenly front vs rear.

Any differential in wear would likely be the result of the variables others (pad size, etc) have mentioned.

As others have commented, you don't need rear brakes yet. When they get to the sensor is when you need to get them replaced. That's why they HAVE a sensor

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Thanks for your customary on-point, detailed, comprehensive, expert answer!

Reply to
William Munny

Thanks all for the info...

Reply to
William Munny

William Munny wrote in news:koacvp$p4e$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

You're welcome. I would also add that you're likely to experience squealing or squeaking noises from the rear brakes in about 11,000 miles. That will be from the wear-warning tabs contacting the rotor. Hopefully the noise drives you to get the work done before you damage the rotors with steel-on- steel contact!

Reply to
Tegger