Brake pads difference

Hi all: I'm anticipating the front brake pads on my 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid will have to be replaced soon. What's the differences (pros/cons) between semi-metallic and ceramic pads? W hich one should I consider? Does brand names (e.g. Raybestos) really make a difference. Thanks for any input!

Reply to
dxmah

Honda OEM (= original equipment manufacturer= the real mccoy) brake pads (1) cost about the same as high quality non-OEM ones (2) do not put out the dust that many non-OEM ones do (3) maybe most importantly, will help ensure that wear of the brake rotors is not excessive.

A Honda owner can install non-OEM pads that use really hard material, and so the pads themselves last long. But hard pads will tend to reduce the lifetime of rotors, for one thing, leading to greater expense and trouble in the long run.

You can buy OEM pads online at a very competitive price at places like bkhondaparts.com or slhondaparts.com . Your local dealer may even now have an "internet store" where you can buy at much reduced parts prices.

"dxmah" wrote

Reply to
Elle

If you are concerned about price and if you live in Canada, buy Monroe premium pads at Canadian tire. They often sell the front set for $35. Note that you have to order for a 6CYL Accord as I found out. The pads for 4CYL are so small I could use them on my bicycle. In any case, these pads have very high friction i.e. car stops very quickly without fade, plus they do not wear out the rotors. The pads wear out as quick as a bar of soap.

Reply to
highkm

honda oem pads don't give you this "option" so why waste time considering? oem works better, costs about the same, and will save you money on disk wear.

Reply to
jim beam