brake service 98 isuzu rodeo 2WD. Do I have to re-surface the rotor for replacing the brake pad.

Hi All: I took my car for brake service for my 98 Isuzu Rodeo 2WD. I asked about for the front wheel with disc brake. The mechanic told me since it is a 2WD. It requires to take out the bearing to re-surface the rotor. He said it is a must to re-surface the rotor, otherwise the new pad won't fit with the rotor and cause vibration. Then the price from orginailly quoted $120 becomes $240. Get double. I won't it everthing he said is correct. Wonder how much it will cost to do the re-surface for the rotor and replace pad in the fremont california area? Besides, it is a must to re-surface the rotor for new brake pad. If not, how much should it be? He said he won't warranty if I don't re-surface to rotor. Is it true it is a must? He makes me uncomfortable with the their service, but nothing else I can do except asking for expert comment.

Thanks wingbay

Reply to
wingbay

First thing you could do is go elsewhere and have someone else look at it.

Normally, resurfacing of the rotor is not needed. Only needed if there is something wrong. If it's just a case of time for new pads, if he uses the correct pads, everything will fit.

My '01 Accord has never had it rotors touched until today. At 127,000 I replaced both front rotors because something got in between the drivers side outer pad and rotor scoring it pretty good.

Reply to
Seth

Get a second opinion. Or better yet, pull a wheel yourself and look at the rotors. Look for tiny grooves in them. Run your fingernail across the groves to be sure they are deep and not just on the surface. Check both sides.

Routine rotor replacement is not required. Unless you rode the old pads too long, or as Seth mentioned, something got caught in between the pad and rotor, (both situations should have caused audible scraping noises while breaking), they should be fine.

As for the cost, if they actually have to pull the bearings, it's probably about right. But it might be worth it to call around and see if any break shops have the equipment that can refurace rotors while they are on the car. Not sure if your cars rotors can be done that way, but it should drop the cost quite a bit if they can.

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

I do my own brakes and never have the rotors turned - if they are badly worn or warped (the cause of pulsation) they need to be replaced. Warped rotors that are turned nearly always go back to their evil ways. If you don't have vibration now and he does the job right (without turning the rotors) you won't have vibration afterward.

Drum brake drums should always be resurfaced or replaced because they often wear funny, and the new linings should be "arced" to fit the actual curvature of the drum. Disc brake pads will fit themselves to the rotor quickly - within a few stops - and with no loss of stopping power. A few times I have had to look at squeaky brakes the day after I replaced the pads and have always found the pads fitted perfectly to the disks.

I agree with the others - look for another shop.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee