Brake squeak in rear drum shoes - '99 Accord LX 4 dr 173k miles

'99 Accord LX 4 door, 5 speed, about 173K miles

I am very close to replacing front pads with about 91K miles on them. Original set were replaced at about 82k. I have not turned the rotors, I have no apparent [to me] problems with them.

I have done nothing with the rear brake shoes. I need to pull the drums and take a look, but have been too busy or distracted. I have noticed, if I have my foot on the brake pedal and when I release the pedal, I hear a single squeak, every time, and this applies to the rear hand brake too. Anybody know what this means? Is it simply a lubricating need?

Thanks,

Wade

Reply to
Wade

Wade wrote in news:4cd1aa4f-f93a-483a-8492-8bf10f6cd186 @r18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

Just lubrication. The shoe is rubbing against the drum backing plate.

Pull the drum. You should be able to see shiny spots on the backing plate under the shoes. That's where the squeak is coming from.

Gently lever the shoe away from the backing plate, and apply a thin smear of anti-seize to the shiny spots. Don't put too much, or it will get on the friction lining.

Reply to
Tegger