Brake Warning Light Coming On, Why would this happen?

what make, model, year????

if you have an after-market master cylinder, the low fluid lever sender unit may be at fault. they are pretty cheesy and often malfunction. provided you regularly check the fluid level, it's ok to disconnect the sensor leads. better yet, replace with the proper honda unit.

Reply to
jim beam

Over the last couple of months I've had the brake light coming on. It comes on only when I brake and only happens when the car is cold. After driving about 10 to 15 minutes the light stops coming on. I've also noticed it tends to happen only when it's colder out, when the temperature is in the 50s or so. I've checked the fluid level and it's fine. The element that checks the fuild level seems to be moving freely. I haven't changed the fluid in a long time, although I don't think that's the source of the problem because the fluid is still fairly clean. I've considered the parking brake switch, but I find it odd that the light coming on coincides with me braking the car.

One thing I want to make clear is that this is the brake light, the same one for the parking brake, not the ABS light.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Reply to
MaWeiTao

I've had a similar problem for years now with my 98 Accord. As the weather gets colder, the light will come on in the morning, then sometimes go off when the car warms, sometimes it stays on for a couple of days, then goes out. When it first started, I took it in, no brake problems so he just said wait until it finally stays on, easier to diagnose. Well that was 3 years ago and it still behaves the same. On in fall & winter, but not everyday, never comes on in warm weather. I just ignore it now. However, mine is never related to touching the brake pedal, so you may want to have it looked at just for piece of mind.

Reply to
JJ

I forgot to add... The car is a 1999 Prelude, base model.

Reply to
MaWeiTao

Without knowing what kind of Honda, or the mileage, here's something that might be relevant:

"curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Top off your brake fluid.