BRAKES CR-V 01

The left front brake of my CR-V is howling and I don't know why. My wife came home with it this way having left with it in fine condition. I took the wheel off and found that the screeching sound is resonating from the pan behind the rotor.

I'm not qualified to repair brakes but need an idea whether the car is safe to drive to a garage. Any diagnosis would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Reply to
Fred

The pads have a squeeler on them indicateing its time to replace the pads, it should be ok to drive it to a shop for pad replacement.

How many miles on the odometer, usually the front pads will last 45-50K depending on how you drive.

Reply to
twfsa

Thanks. Car's right at 50K. What gets me is that I am in PA and had the car safety inspected last month. Usually they will tell you if you are need of replacement.

Also, the squealing is incredibly loud. Should the squealer make my car sound like it has tank tracks?

Reply to
Fred

Also, will the squealer sound when the brakes are not applied? My car is making the noise if the brake is applied or not.

Reply to
Fred

There really should not be a squeel unless the brakes are not applied, there should not be noise when moving until the brakes are applied.

Sounds like something got wedged inbetween the rotor and the tin cover? thats all I can think of. If thats the case what ever is in there has done damage,( how honest is your machanic) if the car stops and you would not have to drive very far to the repair shop I'de drive it.

To Tow or not to tow is your call.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

---------------

Sounds like a stone is wedged betweent the tin guard and the disk. Maybe wife drove on some gravel, or fresh road repair? Double check your wheel nuts that you had off too. Keep in mind that if you tow your CR-V, it has to be all four wheels off the ground.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

My guess is a piece of road debris bent the backing plate against the disc. If so it won't hurt anything but your ears. If you are inclined you can remove the wheel and take a close look. A little gentle prying with a screwdriver should get it clear again. You can put the car in neutral and turn the rotor to tell if you have it fixed or not.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It appears that removing the wheel and replacing it corrected the problem. I noticed a small chunk o' concrete on the floor of my garage after I moved the car. Don't know if it was the culprit for sure but the noise is gone. I tested the brakes hard in a parking lot and they are working fine.

Thanks to all that replied.

Reply to
Fred