Break Roter Question

My son had his 2000 Accord in for an oil change and the oil change people told him his rear rotors were corroded and need to be changed. They wanted $300.00 for it. He put them off until he got some other opinions.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem with rotors and is $300.00 a reasonable price ?

He has no problem breaking and doesn't hear any unusual noises.

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul

Jesus, they all corrode! Are they warped? Worn past limits? You are more than likely getting scammed.

New rotors can be had for under $100 at AutoZone. Easy install yourself with a little knowledge. This model of accord is one of the easiest I have changed rotors on.

If I WERE going to change the rotors, I'd do it and new pads at the same time.

BTW, the material these are made of will rust immediately when they get wet. I always wash them down with a dishwashing liquid before installing to get all the grease off them. They will have rust on them before I even get them on the car. This is NOT a problem.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem with rotors and is $300.00 a reasonable price ?

He has no problem breaking and doesn't hear any unusual noises.

Thanks.

Reply to
G-Man

Rear disc brakes (breaks) on any Honda car need YEARLY cleaning and lube (silicone) to last as long as drum style. Rust in the disc isn't a sign of needing new ones. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

him his rear rotors were corroded and need to be changed. They wanted $300.00 for it. He put them off until he got some other opinions.

It's 'brakes', why can't people spell this properly?! ;-)

The only time I would be concerned with rust on the rotors is if they were ENTIRELY rusty, i.e., there was no clean area indicating that the brakes pads were contacting the rotor. If this is the case, then change them. But I would not have it done at an oil change place, in my experience they are challenged at replacing wipers.....

Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Thank for the feedback everyone......this helps.......

Reply to
Paul

You know how to tell if the oil change artists are lying to you?

Their lips are moving. I changed the air filter on my Chrysler T&C about 900 miles before going in for an oil change. Would you believe that air cleaner was ready to bite the dust? (no pun intended). Told the dweeb that it had less than 1,000 miles on it and go find some widow to victimize and then followed him out to the bay to watch him finish the last oil job his store was ever going to do for me.

Anal pores!

Reply to
Say What?

LOL, I've had that happen with 2-day old windshield wipers as well! THAT was fun, especially since the waiting room was filled at the time!

Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Sounds like BS. Have your car serviced at a place which specializes in Hondas and which you trust, including for routine oil changes. The quick lube places give the employees bonus money based on how much extra stuff they are able to sell you. Sometimes they take the money and don't do the work. Have a look at the NBC LA special busting Jiffy Lube:

John Horner

Bad spellers of the world, Untie!

G-Man

Reply to