Break switch or break stopper

how do u know if your break swith went or if it's just the stopper? I pulled the Breakfuse so my battery would not burn out & now the horn does not work & I can not get the car to go into reverse or drive.

Reply to
piperspost

Did you mean "Brake"?

Reply to
ExtremeValue

It's easy to check the stopper - the brake switch should rest against a stopper when the brake pedal is all the way up. If the stopper is missing the switch will be poking through the hole the stopper belongs in.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

damn dude, your psychic powers are /way/ impressive! and it's not even wednesday!

Reply to
jim beam

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:8885-4547E3EE-1288@storefull-

3335.bay.webtv.net:

I assume the BRAKE lights are on all the time?

Crawl under the dash and look at the top of the BRAKE pedal. At the BRAKE switch there will be a black rubber coin-like thingy about the size of a nickel or dime. If that has a hole in it, has shifted or fallen off this will be readily apparent.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

It's like I have this giant brain or something.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I guess it hardly matters much that the horn doesn't work if you can't get the car in gear....:-)

Replace the brake switch. It's an $11.00, 20 minute, DIY repair.

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:ibGdnVmEirUSY9rYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

That happened to my 94 Integra;the PLASTIC stopper crumbled from age and Florida heat and the brake lights stayed on. I had the dealer replace it as I didn't know anything was missing;diagrams I found online did not show that missing part.Otherwise,I would have improvised one myself. Dealer charged me $60.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"rjdriver" wrote in news:y5%1h.26801$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.lga:

It probably is not the switch,but a missing plastic button on the pedal arm.

Reply to
Jim Yanik